Crazy Turbo Thoughts - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2012, 07:44 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Crazy Turbo Thoughts

I was reading through a magazine today (diesel power i think) and they were building this rat rod with 12v, and they had it all rigged up with 3 stock turbos and it was making some serious boost.. what i'm getting at.. i know we can't or i'm sure people would be doing it more, but why can't we use basically any turbo, say a smaller one off of something smaller (like a liberty turbo) and a bigger turbo for wide open, like the 6.4's but all mechanical? i'm not trying to build this, just kinda wanted to get a discussion going on homemade turbo systems... i know i could never fab something like this up, but i feel like some of you guys could.. what are your thoughts??

i'll try and find that article and tell you guys about it so it doesnt sound like i'm blowin hot air
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2012, 07:51 PM

I thought there were some twin sets out there
Old 02-27-2012, 07:52 PM
Premium Member

1. Were the three compound turbos? I've seen triple turbos with two smaller ones blowing into a huge one.
2. You can buy compound turbo kits for a PSD, so why re-invent the wheel? Compound and twins are two different set ups.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:08 PM
Turbos = Witchcraft

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
You are all correct! There are compound turbo kits available for the 6.0.

Here's Industrial Injection's and it's on sale lol

Otherwise there are guys who have done custom fabbed compounds, and Matt at Cutting Edge Diesel (06powerstroke06) makes compounds, but he isn't selling them just yet, still doing some testing.

Compunds on our trucks are capable of over 50 psi of boost.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan.sampson View Post
I was reading through a magazine today (diesel power i think) and they were building this rat rod with 12v, and they had it all rigged up with 3 stock turbos and it was making some serious boost.. what i'm getting at.. i know we can't or i'm sure people would be doing it more, but why can't we use basically any turbo, say a smaller one off of something smaller (like a liberty turbo) and a bigger turbo for wide open, like the 6.4's but all mechanical? i'm not trying to build this, just kinda wanted to get a discussion going on homemade turbo systems... i know i could never fab something like this up, but i feel like some of you guys could.. what are your thoughts??

i'll try and find that article and tell you guys about it so it doesnt sound like i'm blowin hot air
You dont want to use a VGT turbo for a 6.0 in a compound set up or triple... they dont like the extra boost at all
Old 02-28-2012, 03:24 AM

Do compounds compare to twins? Or are they just for lower hp applications?
Old 02-28-2012, 06:37 AM
Turbos = Witchcraft

Compounds and twins are very different, however, 99% of the time when you see people on here talk about twins, they are really talking about compound (aka sequential) turbos. I do not know of anyone that has ever put true twins on a 6.0. The difference is that twins are two identical turbos, usually one for each bank of the engine, like having two separate 4 cylinder engines that share a crankshaft to make a V8. Compounds, on the other hand, consist of a large low pressure turbo and a smaller high pressure turbo. The high pressure turbo spools first, then the exhaust flow travels to the low pressure turbo, spooling it up. The low pressure then feeds pressurized air into the high pressure turbo, compounding the boost. The picture in 06powerstroke06's sig is of a compound setup.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:53 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I thought someone had tried a true twin setup on a 6.0 before. IIRC, it used 2 porsche turbos or something like that. If you could do the fab work, I wouldn't see why it couldn't be done. But, they would probably have to be very small turbos I would assume.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:56 AM
Turbos = Witchcraft

You could be right! i haven't been a part of the 6.0 world all that long. I'm sure it can be done.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:02 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Just like my wife's 6.4 at the moment. A buttload of money and a cab in the air, miracles will happen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.