SCT and over heating - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2012, 12:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
SCT and over heating

I just put on the SCT Extreme Street program on my 04' EX. It runs great but heres the problem... the cool fan will not turn on. I brought it back to Power Stroke Magic and they diagnosed the cooling fan was not responding. I had them go ahead and replace the fan clutch. Well... problem persists. On the highway @65mph it is showing 3~4psi boost (flat land), ECT runs as high as 210 with EOT at 215 (just normal driving). Fan never comes on. Slow down or pull over and idle the temps drop to 188~190. I thought I read on this forum there is a specific item that has to be checked in the program on the 04' 6.0L or the fan may not work. I can't find the thread anymore and can't get any help with the issue. I would flash back to stock and drive that way but I have the Garrett PowerMax turbo installed as well. Any help would be appreciated... Oh it's the Innovative tune thats on the truck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2012, 03:59 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Out of curiosity, do you have the EGR valve plugged in electrically?
Old 02-27-2012, 04:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yup... that was the problem. Got with Eric at Innovative and they were able to get it worked out. It was a problem caused by a conflict with the EGR "not" connected. A new program has me back in business. It is good to let everyone else out there with 03.5' and 04' 6.0L that they could have this problem with the EGR unplugged.
Old 02-27-2012, 04:21 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by tec548 View Post
Yup... that was the problem. Got with Eric at Innovative and they were able to get it worked out. It was a problem caused by a conflict with the EGR "not" connected. A new program has me back in business. It is good to let everyone else out there with 03.5' and 04' 6.0L that they could have this problem with the EGR unplugged.
I've had the similar experience with my early '04 with the VXAP2 strategy.
http://www.thedieselgarage.com/forum...d.php?t=102838
Old 02-27-2012, 04:22 PM
Serving Our Country!

Did you not tell Eric you had a EGR delete in the first place? Just wondering because I didnt have that problem on my early 04 with the VXAP2 strategy

Last edited by BDSford03; 02-27-2012 at 04:32 PM.
Old 02-27-2012, 04:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yup...Everything that was done to the truck was stated, however... I did not say that the EGR was not plugged in... just said it was deleted... (never thought that some left it plugged in but blocked off). That may have been the disconnect.

I was reading in Lilpooh thread... how do I check to see if the turbo vanes are cycling? I did not even think that this would be effected as well. Should this be corrected with this new file too? I guess I need to talk to Eric.
Old 02-27-2012, 04:41 PM
Serving Our Country!

I have never paid specific attention to whether or not the vanes were working properly. One way would be low boost, also listening at idle if the tune from eric keeps the VGT sweep (which I dont think I have heard on mine). Let me know what you come up with.

I have had my xtreme street tune on for a little over a month and haven't noticed any issues but I guess Ill pay closer attention tomorrow and maybe plug in the livelink.
Old 03-07-2012, 01:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well, Eric has been been great trying to help me out but I think I have another problem now. Eric did get my fan turning on, but I still run hot on the highway... actually hotter now than before. I changed the water pump on the truck in November with another stock unit. Since I was have this initial problem and the coolant temp had been getting as high as 215 at times. I'm wondering if maybe I now have a cracked or damaged impeller. It is acting like the truck is not getting enough cooling when under load. At idle it runs 188~190 ECT and 193~194 EOT. On the high way at 65... ECT runs 206~210 and EOT runs 211~215. If I pull over it will cool right down. Before, the fan would not run at all after the EGR delete with SCT software. Now, the fan runs but the truck still gets hot. Because it cools down to 188~190 ECT when at idle I don't think it's a thermostat issue. The fan runs now so I don't think its as a software issue (anymore... thanks to Eric). Coolant and oil is Rotella and it is fresh and at the proper levesl. The only thing I can think is the impeller on the water pump is either slipping or damaged thus not flowing enough coolant to the engine. Does any of this sound reasonable? Do you have any other ideas? I'm at work and have to drive home 500+ miles next week... and I don't want to be on the side of the road.

Joel
Old 03-07-2012, 01:55 PM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
It sounds like the fan clutch is locking up but not at 100%. Plug the EGR valve back in and see if the fan clutch locks properly.
Old 03-07-2012, 02:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I don't have the EGR valve to plug into. Do you think that the fan running slow could cause this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.