Lockers... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2012, 06:52 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Lockers...

So I have been doing some research through the forum and still can't figure out which locker would be best for my application. My truck is a daily driver and when I'm home I do some occasional towing until I get a boat, then it will be quite a bit of towing. I want something along the lines of being able to launch with both wheels spinning and definitely reliable. I don't want something uncontrollable in a turn or in extremely wet roads or even the occasional ice.

Anybody have some ideas on which locker I should be going with? Any input definitely appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2012, 06:58 AM
Turbos = Witchcraft

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
My vote is for the Detroit Tru-trac. It's not a true locker, it is more of a limited slip or posi, but will definitely leave two long black marks on the pavement. My truck is used just like you described. I don't do any hard core off roading. The tru-trac as really good road manners, much better than a full locker, and it is cheaper and easier to install than an air locker. It is much stronger than the factory limited slip so I know it can stand up to any of the abuse I will put it through.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:35 AM
Premium Member

Nice. I was leaning towards a tru-trac or an air locker anyway. Is Eaton the only brand out there? If not are they the only ones worth buying? How does it handle on ice?
Old 02-27-2012, 07:46 AM
Turbos = Witchcraft

For air lockers I am told ARB is the way to go. There are a couple other brands, here's some options at 4wheel Parts

The tru-trac is pretty civilized in the snow. Since it isn't locked all the time, it doesn't slide right away. If you punch it on snow or ice, then it'll lock up and get a little squirrely, but even an old one wheel wonder will do that. Overall, it is very easy to dtrive in snow and very streetable, so I think it is well suited for the weekend warrior type of truck.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:51 AM
Premium Member

Thank you for the info. I'll check into it.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:34 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooMuch03 View Post
For air lockers I am told ARB is the way to go. There are a couple other brands, here's some options at 4wheel Parts

The tru-trac is pretty civilized in the snow. Since it isn't locked all the time, it doesn't slide right away. If you punch it on snow or ice, then it'll lock up and get a little squirrely, but even an old one wheel wonder will do that. Overall, it is very easy to dtrive in snow and very streetable, so I think it is well suited for the weekend warrior type of truck.
You power level is where I would like to be, Would it hold up to sled pulls and hard launches?
Old 02-27-2012, 08:41 AM
Turbos = Witchcraft

So far so good! I haven't pulled with it, but plenty of boosted launches, and no problems
Old 02-27-2012, 12:06 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
you wont hurt a tru trac.
i have one and love it. you cant tell its there unless you stand on it and leave 2 black marks.
mike
Old 02-27-2012, 03:51 PM
Premium Member

Send a message via ICQ to Duncan's KR Send a message via Yahoo to Duncan's KR
Arbs are really good for a selectable locker choice, also Yukon has some choices that are really strong. Lockrite, eaton and tru trac are also good for mechanical. I run Arbs in my jeep personally....
Old 02-27-2012, 03:59 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05 smoker View Post
you wont hurt a tru trac.
i have one and love it. you cant tell its there unless you stand on it and leave 2 black marks.
mike
I bought a True-Trac back in 06, it works ok all around, even at the truck pulls. But, the one thing it does that has me ready to swap it for a Detroit Locker is that it is a one tire fire when I crank the wheel to the right and punch it. Further, while it leaves two marks, when the torque bleeds off, it turns to one.

Maybe I just drive my truck too hard, but I'm not too thrilled with my True Trac given the $600 I spent on it at Summit Racing. If I had it to do again, I would have put in a Detroit Locker or a Power Tracks Lock Right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.