TSX 8900 - 5/5 but only used on 1 truck? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2012, 07:12 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
TSX 8900 - 5/5 but only used on 1 truck?

For anyone familiar with this device, is it true you can't tune, then return to stock on the same truck more than 5 times?

I'm planning on calling SCT tomorrow, but it looks like that's how this device is programmed. I sorta understand the lockout if its on different trucks.....well no I don't, as long as it's only installed on 1 vehicle at 1 time.

If I gotta pay to get this device running again, it's up for sale. Am I wrong in how I'm understanding this?

For anyone wondering why I returned to stock so many times.....3 while I've owned the truck anyhow, previous owner 2 times I guess.

1. Firmware update
2. First trip to the mechanic
3. Second trip to the mechanic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2012, 07:52 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

you can tune and return to stock the same truck unlimited times, you cant use the device on more than 5 trucks however. Every time the SCT reads 5 vin numbers it becomes locked.

I have an X3 and have returned my truck at least 30 times to load new custom tunes to the device and I still show 5 unlocks left

Hope this help you!
Old 02-26-2012, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizza pig View Post
you can tune and return to stock the same truck unlimited times, you cant use the device on more than 5 trucks however. Every time the SCT reads 5 vin numbers it becomes locked.

I have an X3 and have returned my truck at least 30 times to load new custom tunes to the device and I still show 5 unlocks left

Hope this help you!
Like I said same truck,same vin, same tuner. Device was on the truck when I bought it. This thing always has problems connecting to my computers too. Drivers are buggy 90% of the time.

I wonder if SCT has a different policy with the 8900?
Old 02-27-2012, 06:12 AM

Followup here for anyone in the future with this problem.

03-04 Fords do not store the VIN on the PCM. This confuses the SCT product so it thinks you are installing on a new vehicle every time.

Solution:
Call SCT tech support so you can get an RMA# to have it reprogrammed. You get to ship it to them at your expense and wait 7-10 business days for them to take care of the problem. If you give them the Vin on your vehicle, they can create a stock tune to put on your truck so the Vin is stored on your PCM. SCT will waive the cost to have the tuner reset.....at least they said they would for me.

Hope this helps someone.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:29 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Yes that is entirely true, I didnt notive you had an pre 05, the dealer can program your pcm with a vin as well so you dont have to go through that trouble.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:04 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Is this only for the TSX? I use an original X-3, and have loaded/unloaded tunes and stock tunes ALOT, and have never used a lock yet. I have the early '04 truck.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilpooh View Post
Is this only for the TSX? I use an original X-3, and have loaded/unloaded tunes and stock tunes ALOT, and have never used a lock yet. I have the early '04 truck.

The SCT tech only mentioned the VIN issue. Maybe your truck had a dealer VIN add flash like the one pizza mentioned? Looks like it isn't an issue for you though.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:09 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by managerisk View Post
The SCT tech only mentioned the VIN issue. Maybe your truck had a dealer VIN add flash like the one pizza mentioned? Looks like it isn't an issue for you though.
No I don't have the VIN flash, because neither the SCT, DashBoss or Autoenginuity can bring up my VIN thru the OBDII port.

I'm not concerned about me, just getting info for members for future reference who might have the same issue as you did.

Thanks, Rich
Old 03-04-2012, 03:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

my livewire 9600 , has never been on any vehicle but mine, and i lost unlocks just by going back to stock settings too. my screen went bizerk, and numbers were reading all crazy. i had to do a remote re-program with SCT through the computer. They reprogramed mine for no charge, but didn't give me back any un-locks. If yours is till under warranty, give them a call on their customer support number. 1-404-774-2447. This is the only number that i have, but they have a toll free number, that you can get from their website.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.