EBP sensor still used? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2012, 09:14 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
EBP sensor still used?

Is the exhaust back pressure sensor being used on my truck? I've read that only the '03's used the EBP sensor and the updated flashes did away with it and then you had to do the VGT relearn procedure. I had a PHP rollback done after I bought it and never got any better fuel economy until Bill suggested I clean the sensor. Sure enough, my fuel economy jumped up. Now I'm trying to figure out if, with custom tunes, it still uses the EBP sensor, does it depend on who's tune you run, etc. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2012, 09:46 PM
Premium Member

I don't have an answer, but can you tell me what the rollback is? I've heard of PHP's FICM tuning, but not the rollback.

Last edited by Karls03; 02-23-2012 at 09:53 PM.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:07 PM

From PHP's website:

"Often, customers with later ECM strategies will not see the same results from a FICM Reflash that customers with earlier ECM strategies do. Ford dealerships do not have the capability to reprogram your ECM/TCM to an earlier, more desireable calibration; PHP, however, can! If your current calibration is VXCF7xx, VXCF9xx, VXAP2xx, or VXBC9xx, we strongly recommend that you request an ECM/TCM rollback in conjunction with your FICM reprogramming. If you are currently using a programmer with custom tunes, your tunes will have to be rewritten to work with the new ECM code. If you are not currently using a programmer in your truck, we can also custom program your ECM/TCM with a tow or performance program; we can also program it to work with your EGR delete"
Old 02-24-2012, 03:55 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

If you had any of fords later programming you would have inferred ebp and it does not use the sensor. You would have to contact php to see if Thier rollback calibration uses it or not but since he told you to clean the ebp it sounds like his program uses the sensor as an input.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:07 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkSC View Post
I've read that only the '03's used the EBP sensor and the updated flashes did away with it and then you had to do the VGT relearn procedure.
All 6.0s originally used the ebp sensor. 03 and early 04 would use an inferred ebp strategy with later ford calibrations that don't use the sensor as an input anymore. The vgt learn procedure is part of the inferred ebp strategy. Late built 04+ still uses ebp as an input
Old 02-24-2012, 06:04 PM
Premium Member

I got the VXAM7 rollback from Bill, it's early and uses the EBP...Also running Spartan tunes right now with VXAN0 strategy.

It depends on the strategy of the tune. The above use it, I know for a fact VXAP2 doesn't. Not sure about VXAP1.....I can see the EBP readings on my scangauge.

Canned tunes will use the same strategy as already in your ECM just FYI.

Last edited by jerg_064; 02-24-2012 at 06:08 PM.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:27 PM
Premium Member

Scan Gauge, X gauge monitors EBP in psi, it's not conclusive evidence that it is or is not used, but it's still active.

Ford Specific XGauges : Linear Logic : Home of the ScanGauge
Old 02-24-2012, 10:31 PM

jerg_064, you saying the SCT canned tunes use the strategy already on the ECM, that's a better way of stating my original question. I have the Super Panty Dropper tune on my truck right now and I checked my strategy and it has the same strategy it had before, VXAM7N2. So does this mean this tune uses the strategy I already had on the ECM as well?
Old 02-25-2012, 05:42 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karls03 View Post
Scan Gauge, X gauge monitors EBP in psi, it's not conclusive evidence that it is or is not used, but it's still active.
Negative ghostrider, when I had the non-EBP reading VXAP2 strategy in my truck the EBP X-gauge gave no reading whatsoever. As soon as I put in Spartan's tune based on VXAN0 the reading showed up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkSC
I have the Super Panty Dropper tune on my truck right now and I checked my strategy and it has the same strategy it had before, VXAM7N2. So does this mean this tune uses the strategy I already had on the ECM as well?
If it's reading the same, then you answered your own question. Your tuner probably asked what strategy you're running before they wrote it for you correct? They decided that was a good strategy and stuck with it to build their custom on.

However, with custom tunes they don't have to be the same the strategy just needs to be compatible with your model year. For instance on the '05-'07 6.0Ls some tuners tend to prefer the VXCF4 strategy. So if someone has VXCF7 or CF9 which aren't well liked, when they load their custom tune they may see their strategy change to CF0 or CF4 depending on what the tuner likes. Clear as mud?

Last edited by jerg_064; 02-25-2012 at 07:47 AM.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:38 AM
Premium Member

An Air Force guy said "Negative Ghost Rider" Some days I am more proud of being a part of Naval Aviation than others.

This is all much ado about nothing. UNPLUG the electrical connector from the top of the stupid thing and see what happens. If it's been programmed out of your stategy, there should be no change, hence no reading on the X-gauge.

Last edited by Karls03; 02-25-2012 at 08:47 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.