One for One or full cab off? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-23-2012, 06:53 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 

Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 12
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
One for One or full cab off?

Alright guys I need some help deciding what i should do, i got a 06 f-360 6.0l with 84,000 on her and i want ot do head studs, i got a quote from one shop for $1700 to do one for one head stud replacement with a egr delete. Then i got another quote for 4800.00 to do full cab off with egr delete. what should i do??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 02-23-2012, 08:56 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 805
Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksmoke89 View Post
Alright guys I need some help deciding what i should do, i got a 06 f-360 6.0l with 84,000 on her and i want ot do head studs, i got a quote from one shop for $1700 to do one for one head stud replacement with a egr delete. Then i got another quote for 4800.00 to do full cab off with egr delete. what should i do??
You could do it one at a time. It leaves you with questions about your head. Are they warped? Are they cracked etc.. I would suggest doing it right the first time and not having to do it again lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 02-23-2012, 09:07 AM
Premium Member



 

Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 16,119
Thanks: 48
Thanked 72 Times in 64 Posts
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Take heads off machine them replaces both gaskets w/ OEM head gaskets and install ARP head studs.

do this work with CAB ON!!!

This requires a new quote, or do it yourself
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 02-23-2012, 03:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic
 

Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 122
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
id do it with the cab off! much easier to do and less strain on the ol back!! thats the only way i do them. im not downing the guys that do it cab on at all i just dont have the balls to do it with the cab on because of how stressful it can be. to answer the question though do it right and pull the heads off
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 02-23-2012, 08:18 PM
Premium Member
 

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Fallon, Nv
Posts: 2,395
Thanks: 50
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I don't see how shops say they can do a one for one change out when there is a head bolt that must come out with the head. The stud is slid into that head when it goes back on. Maybe they are pounding on the firewall to get the clearance. Either way, it seems pretty extreme measure to stud it if you don't have an existing head gasket issue. If it's not broke, why fix it?

I have 93K on mine and I'm not studding it until it pushes a gasket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 02-24-2012, 06:58 AM
Turbos = Witchcraft
 

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: West Bend, WI
Posts: 2,831
Thanks: 2
Thanked 29 Times in 14 Posts
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karls03 View Post
I don't see how shops say they can do a one for one change out when there is a head bolt that must come out with the head. The stud is slid into that head when it goes back on. Maybe they are pounding on the firewall to get the clearance. Either way, it seems pretty extreme measure to stud it if you don't have an existing head gasket issue. If it's not broke, why fix it?I have 93K on mine and I'm not studding it until it pushes a gasket.
Exactly! There is no reason to replace the stock head bolts with studs if you have not already blown a head gasket, unless you want to make lots of power. In that case, you should pull the heads and have them machined and ported while you're at it. IF the motor is healthy and you don't run big tunes, your stock headbolts will hold up just fine. The only reason everyone puts studs in after a head gasket blows is becasue if you gotta pull the heads off anyway, you might as well upgrade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 02-24-2012, 07:47 AM
Member
 

Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 38
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
why not add some torque to the stock head studs, say 3-5 more foot pounds? since thats what lets the head lift off the block to cause the head gasket problem...

just a thought
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 02-24-2012, 09:43 AM
Premium Member
 

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Fallon, Nv
Posts: 2,395
Thanks: 50
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooMuch03 View Post
Exactly! There is no reason to replace the stock head bolts with studs if you have not already blown a head gasket, unless you want to make lots of power. In that case, you should pull the heads and have them machined and ported while you're at it. IF the motor is healthy and you don't run big tunes, your stock headbolts will hold up just fine. The only reason everyone puts studs in after a head gasket blows is becasue if you gotta pull the heads off anyway, you might as well upgrade.
What would you define as "big tunes"? I ran Edge on Extreme and Hot Unlock for years, Xtreme Race from IDP as a daily driver for a little while, and now SRL from Gear Head as a daily driver. However, Edge detuned when cold and now I don't hit the loud pedal unless it is up to temp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baysic View Post
why not add some torque to the stock head studs, say 3-5 more foot pounds? since thats what lets the head lift off the block to cause the head gasket problem...

just a thought
These are "Torque to yeild" bolts, one time use, as in they stretch, adding more torque would most likely induce failure of the head gasket and/or the bolts.

Before tuning, HAVE GAUGES, after tuning, DON'T hit the loud pedal before it is at operating temperature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 02-24-2012, 09:53 AM
Turbos = Witchcraft
 

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: West Bend, WI
Posts: 2,831
Thanks: 2
Thanked 29 Times in 14 Posts
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I guess I am meaning like that "stacking chips" crap that some people used to do, and running tunes written for studs if you aren't studded, like SRL+ or SRL Estreme, etc. I assume you are monitoring your engine and maintain it well since it is holding up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 02-24-2012, 09:59 AM
Premium Member
 

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Fallon, Nv
Posts: 2,395
Thanks: 50
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Stacked programmers/tuners! That sounded stupid when it was the "in" thing to do. That is EXACTLY why I won't use my Edge for JUST a monitor like some guys do when their Edge power adder poops. It seems too easy for the Edge and SCT to gang up on my truck and beat it down!

The Inisght is MADE to be just a monitor, pls don't confuse that with what I am saying here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors