Should i just flush or go the whole nine yards? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2012, 01:20 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Should i just flush or go the whole nine yards?

Ok so I am new-ish to the 6.0L my EOT/ECT delta is about 3-4* and I am wanting some opinions as to what I should do.

Should I just do a complete flush according to the guide on this site and replace with CAT-1 ELC?

do the previous and add a coolant filter?

the previous and add an egr delete?

or go and do all of that with an oil cooler also?

I will eventually get around to 6.4L banjos, blue spring and exhaust. For now i am more concerned for preventative maintenance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2012, 01:27 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I would not do the whole Restore and Restore+ flush with 3 to 4 degree deltas. My delta was low so I just drained the ford gold and flushed with just water until the gold was gone and re-filled with Cat EC1 ELC from Napa. My thinking was not to loosen anything and clog my oil cooler when the deltas were fine. I put on a coolant filter before the flush too. My deltas are still 4 to 6 degrees. 190 ECT and 196 EOT most of the time. EGR delete is never a bad idea either unless you live where emissions are an issue.

Last edited by ars5147; 02-22-2012 at 01:33 PM.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:35 PM

Do the flush the right way get the Restore and Restore+ but get the coolant filter on first to remove any casting sand that may help plug the system when flushing. I used 48 gallons of distilled water 1/2 gallon of each new t/stat and 3 1/2 gallons of Delo ELC coolant 1/4 tank of fuel and 12.5hrs of my time but my system is clean.
You can order here
Performance Machine & MFG. 6.0L Powerstroke Diesel Coolant Filtration System
or here this is a good deal
Ford Superduty Powerstroke 2003-2007 6.0L Coolant Filter Kit
2 stroker
Old 02-22-2012, 01:55 PM

Coolant filter is a good idea. With deltas like yours; I wouldn't flush. If I did flush; I wouldn't use chemicals unless I was prepared to change the oil cooler.
Old 02-22-2012, 03:13 PM

Thing to be aware of is that you can not just drain out the Ford gold, flush only with distilled water and think everything will be ok. You are changing the coolant type, not just the coolant. To change coolant type REQUIRES that you flush using two chemicals. The restore and restore+ flushes serve two different purposes.
The restore chemical flush removes a film that the Ford Gold coolant deposits on the walls of the cooling system to help combat cavitation.
The second chemical, restore+ (same as the ford VC-9, only less expensive) is to remove rust scale build up in the cooling system. If the dealership used tap water (and I will bet you they do) you will have rust scale.
Should you skip the restore step, you could have a chemical reaction between the film left by the Ford Gold and the ELC style coolant. If you were to skip the restore+ step, you would be leaving the junk that clogs the oil cooler sitting there as a ticking time bomb. I did both flushes with deltas of 4* and still have 4* deltas the flushes with the Restore i had 20 gallons of milk and clear honey goo with only 28k on it.
2 stroker
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.