Building a towing monster, intercooler or turbo? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2012, 06:04 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Building a towing monster, intercooler or turbo?

My 2006 just ran out of warranty, and as I always said, It is time to bulletproof her. I have ran water and oil filters since day one, ELC, and EGT programed off, and she only has 29k miles. I have her apart and am installing the standard bulletproof mods, my goal is for towing heavy and reliability, I could give two shi#$ about what my drag strip times would be. The problems I have had in the past have been with high engine temps pulling my 40' toyhauler, with boat in tow, in the NV/UT heat. So engine temps/cooling is my primary concern.

I have already compiled and am installing:
Gogo stage 1 intake and Egr delete
new up pipe
ARPs
SCT, Standpipes, Turbo feed/drain etc (yes, got an oil cooler even though mine is fine, you all talked me into replacing it! lol)

I have always ran a custom tow tune, and will continue to do so.

My Question, I have a little money left over, would my $1100 be better spent on a powermax or a banks Intercooler kit? they are both about the same price.

I am leaning towards the intercooler kit as of right now, I am thinking that combined with the gogo will bring a dramatic increase in amount, and decrease the temp of the air going in. Based on the fact I dont necessarily need more power, I think this is a better way to go then the powermax. I understand the powermax can push more air, and provide more power, but I dont think that will help my high temps any, just maybe give me more power, and I don't necessarly need more power. Well anyway, you guys usually offer great insight, so let me know your opinion.

..and by high temps, I mean when im pulling rolling canyons and uphill grades in UT & NV in 115 degree temps, my EOT and ECTs can be difficult to keep in check, so my end goal, is to build a motor that is bulletproof, reliable, and stays cool

Last edited by jetjock15; 02-21-2012 at 06:10 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2012, 06:18 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I would get the intercooler and intake before I got the powermax.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:40 PM

I'll agree on the cooler. I have that ic and intake on my truck and combined, they dropped the egt's around 160* at wot. Cruising in tow tune with 14k at 70mph in 90* heat was 120* lower.

Just a thought, would royal purple(purple ice be usable in the trucks) or like everything else, it will cause horrifying catastrophies. i would think the other options would be a huge aluminum radiator and an extra cooler on the oil system.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:53 AM

I think the intercooler will help a lot.
Have you looked at the Elite head coolant lines?
I had them put in when I did the ARP's.
You can only add them when the heads or off and for $150 I thought it was worth adding to help keep the heads cool.
Old 02-22-2012, 04:12 AM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I would suggest the intercooler over the turbo (since i presume you are still running stock injectors) but to not leave the turbo undone, throw in a batmowheel as that will help drop egts even further and it's $400 plus the cost for a modded compressor housing. (I think it is $100)

I would even suggest looking at a new radiator that is all aluminum. It isnt needed but if you are looking for the best way to beat the heat, it may be an option. Best of luck man.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:21 AM

thanks for the inputs guys, sounds like my though was correct to go with the IC. Ya windrunner, my injectors are stock, for the amount of money I have left i could go with Warren's 155s if I thought that was a better mod then the turbo or the IC, but I think that would just lead to more heat, not less. I think I will get the IC now, and maybe in the future go with 155s and a powermax. I have not read much about this batmowheel, how much work is that, I would have to tear the turbo apart, and mod the housing? does that provide more boost?
Old 02-22-2012, 06:38 AM
Turbos = Witchcraft

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I also say go with the intercooler over the turbo or injectors since you want to stay cool and said you don't really need more power. The Batmowheel is a billet compressor wheel that is a drop-in replacement for the stock cast wheel. I have not installed one, but the install sounds very straight forward and pretty simple. It will not only lower EGTs but it will allow the turbo to spool faster and move a tiny bit more air, so you will get better low end torque and a slight hp increase throughout the rpm range.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:57 AM

Thanks for the replies guys, The Batmowheel, just did some research, i like it. However it is ridiculously confusing how some guys say it wont fit an 06 turbo's while the manufacture claims it does. I would buy it if it was a drop in, I think spending another $200 on top of the $400 makes it an expensive mod, maybe money be better spent on future aftermarket turbo. So... will the batmowheel drop in an 06 or not? I found two different part numbers on there site? so?

Batmo6.0stock

Ford 6.0L drop-in
Old 02-22-2012, 04:29 PM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
No. A batmowheel WILL NOT drop into a stock 06 turbo. The compressor WILL indeed have to be modified or you would need to replace the turbo with an 03 model. I agree that if you add the $200, it starts approaching the "expensive mod" price and you would definitely probably be better suited using your money to put towards a larger turbo. I was merely thinking of all the options you could do to help remove heat. Hope that helps more.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:52 PM
Premium Member

Have you run your truck sine you installed the GoGo intake?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.