Y pipe flex leak, whats the diameter/length of flex? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2012, 06:37 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Y pipe flex leak, diameter/length of flex? Innovatives Y installed!

My y pipe is leaking, and before I pull it out, I wanted to order some flex pipe sections.

My buddy lives right down the street who is a fabricator, and I can have him weld it up after I take it out.

I would much rather have the parts on hand, as opposed to waiting to get them in after I remove it and measure it.

Does anyone have one laying around that they could measure up for me?

I hear that Elite Diesel is a PIA to deal with, so they are out.
Liberators kit looks nice, but a solid one piece unit looks hard to install (and pricey).
Innovative is out of stock, and is also a one piece unit (I already have an EGR delete up pipe).

I cant imagine a set of bellows/flex being more than $50-60.

Last edited by cRaZy8; 02-27-2012 at 04:57 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2012, 08:13 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I've heard that Elite has improved but I have yet to see rave reviews of their service yet.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:34 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I measured the both flex joints from weld to weld for the length.

The O.D. of the y-pipe looks to be 2".

The driver side accordian flex joint has a reduced solid pipe that went from 2" at the exhaust manifold flange, then inside the flex joint it reduces to fit in the I.D. of the upper part of the y-pipe so the pipe will expand and allow movement.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:09 AM

Don't bother trying to order an upgraded one from Maryland Performance Diesel either. I ordered one 2 weeks ago to replace my leaky one. As of now they have yet to bill my card or make contact with me after repeated phone calls to them to try to find out the status of my order.

I'm about 1 day away from cancelling my order (if I could actually get ahold of them to do it) and trying Elite's. They can't be any worse to deal with.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:03 PM

Lilpooh- awesome! Thanks for those measurements.

Talked to my fabricator today, he happens to own an 06 350 DRW 6.0L. I called him about welding some pipes. He said his is currently leaking as well, and getting worse by the day.
Shortly after talking to him, Ted from Innovative called me back and said he made a miscalculation, and they had one left in stock. Great service on his part to go double check, look up my previous order info and contact info, and call me back.

So I ordered Innovatives for $350 + $150 core.
We are going to install the ID pipe in mine, repair my core with new flex pipes, and send his back as my core. Best of both worlds! Plus, I get to give him my EGR delete pipe, his motor is 3000 miles away from being out of warranty, and less than 6 months.

Ill post pics after we weld up the new ones.
Old 02-27-2012, 12:01 PM

Pulled the truck in the shop today to install Innovatives Y pipe. Excellent quality, and GREAT fitment.

I was in the shop by 9am today, and planned to install the new Y pipe, swap out my FICM harness, and install a new block heater cord (installed new block heater during injector swap last month). I rolled the truck out at 215. Not bad at all.

After reading some horror stories about removing and installing these y pipes, I didnt have my hopes up for a quick job.

After getting the turbo and some other things out of the way, I went underneath to pull the bolts to the manifolds. The OEM pipe came out pretty easy, just had to bend the passenger side heat shield down a little.

The new one slid in easier than the old one came out. I think the key to getting this pipe all lined up correct it to not bolt anything solid before all the connections are made.

I installed the manifold to Y pipe nuts and bolts hand tight, then got the two V clamps in place, and somewhat snug, then I installed the turbo mounting bolts loosely by hand, then cranked the V clamps down, then the turbo mounting bolts, then went under neath and tightened the manifold to Y pipe bolts.

I replaced all the o rings and bolts that came with the turbo install kit. Also installed new V clamps, and manifold nuts/bolts.

I replaced the FICM harness while I had the turbo out, that makes it beyond simple, less than 2 minutes.

Gotta give a lot of credit to Innovative Diesel. They always have top notch customer service, and always sent me quality parts.

I also wrapped the Y pipe with header wrap, it took one roll of 2"x15'. I wrapped this for later one when I install my fuel system, to keep some heat off the return lines.

Cracked flex:

Stock VS IDP long Y pipe:

Wrapped up:
Old 03-16-2012, 12:39 PM
Motor Head.

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotrod_TA View Post
Don't bother trying to order an upgraded one from Maryland Performance Diesel either. I ordered one 2 weeks ago to replace my leaky one. As of now they have yet to bill my card or make contact with me after repeated phone calls to them to try to find out the status of my order.

I'm about 1 day away from cancelling my order (if I could actually get ahold of them to do it) and trying Elite's. They can't be any worse to deal with.
Did you ever get your up pipes ? I actually dropped my old one off last week ,the fabricator was suppose to come in the next day to make them,I have called many many times and they will not call me back.At this point I dont even want it,Ij ust need to get my old pipe back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.