Finally Pulled the Trigger 1700 big ones!!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2012, 02:51 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Finally Pulled the Trigger 1700 big ones!!!

and thats just the parts MKM Master Solution for my 07 6.0. it only has 29,000 miles on it but has started to warm up under load so had to make the move. Dont think the head gaskets are shot or anything never have boosted past 35 PSI temp has got as hot as 240 one time for a second and then started to droip back down quickly. Dont understand why the temp will hold for the longest time but once it gets past 196 it just spikes and will not stop climbing fan buzzes on at 208 and engine could care less I mean it rasises 2degrees like every 3-5 seconds until i pull over EGR cooler blocked? I have been running the Edge Juice with Attitute since the truck had about 10,000 miles on it and I must admit I was a crazy kid that just got a new toy when I kicked it on lever six HOT mode it is a standard cab truck so figured "its lighter then all the others no problem" WFO for utleast two years I mean I always watched my egts and temps never a problem. I did back down to level 2 the Tow level whenever I put the boat behind it but other then that level 6. well after about two years of enjoying the hell out of my Powerstroke I thought I must be doing some kind of premature wear with all this extra power and SOOT blowing out my tail pipe 5' Bully Dog Rapid Flow Cat free so I started googling and OOOO my God!!!!! you all know what I saw HEAD GASKET FAILURE!!!!! LAWSUITS 6.0 WORST ENGINE EVER MADE FORD DROPPING NAVISTAR AFTER YEARS ETC ETC ETC YES I WAS HORRIFIED . so my questions to all of you actuall mechanics that know these thing well and the safe temps before head warping etc it has got hot 3 times. what i consider hot is over 230-240 and like I said the second I caught the gauge up I was pulling over never a check gauge light coming on ever any info would be aprreciated this kit has everything just concerned about the heads and what about a new water pump really needed or can it pass?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2012, 05:59 AM

So are you actually having a problem? It's hard to decipher most of your post. Try to narrow it down to more specific issues that you are having. The guys on here are very knowledgeable, but will need clearer information. Are you losing/puking coolant? What is your EOT/ECT delta? What modifications does the truck already have? These are the first things you need to lay out for us so we can get a better understanding of your problems. I do know the non-SCT tuners have a higher problem rate than the SCT, but every truck is so different. Best test for head gaskets is a pressure gauge on the degas bottle and watch the pressure increase on a gentle grade in 3rd gear. If it climbs really fast above 16 psi then I would def. suspect the head gaskets.

Old 02-20-2012, 06:17 AM
My 6OH Hates Me

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
yes like spoonfedblue said, give more info. what temps are spiking? ECT, EOT or Both. are ypu puking or loosing coolant? Do you hear a tea kettle sound at WOT? Have you pulled the EGR valve to see if it is wet and or wet down the hole? Please give more info so we can better help diagnose the proble. It almost sounds to me you thermostat is sticking at times
Old 02-20-2012, 06:42 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
35psi of boost?
I never see above 25. What is normal?
Old 02-20-2012, 08:05 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I was puking coolant out of the degas bottle a few times I replaced the degas cap hasn't puked out since. Also changed the thermostat,the problem is the truck runs at 190degrees as long as I have the heater on or ac but if I turn it off it heats up. I would understand it slowly heating up but once it gets past 196 it just won't cool itself off the temp like I said spikes and yes it is like a sticky thermostat it climbs all the way to 240 and then all of a sudden poof it starts to drop and then it drops all the way down to like 186 fast what gives. And what's with all the bad news about black onyx head gaskets thought they were far superior to the OEM ones as per powerstroke help Bill Hewitt says?
Old 02-20-2012, 08:07 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It's the engine coolant temps I am looking at not the oil ones just started looking at that one it looks like it is always within 10 degrees or so of the coolant temps
Old 02-20-2012, 09:06 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Did you go back with a Ford t/stat and does the fan sound like a jet plane when it comes on. My temps run ECT 192-194* EOT 200* at 10* to each when pulling my 5er and the highest that i have seen is ECT 218* EOT 228* pulling a 7% grade 6 miles long 90* outside. A Ford t/stat start to open at 192.2* and is fully open at 219.2* and when they fail the fail open.
The max boost on a stock 6.0 is 28lbs i never see over 25lbs solo but pulling my 5er i can hit 28+lbs so i back off some.
2 stroker
Old 02-20-2012, 10:30 AM

I would say address the cooling system issue first. If you temps are all over the board like that I would change the T-stat and see where it gets you. How often does it spike to 240*? You could also have an air pocket somewhere. As for the puking, if it went away after replacing the cap I would still check your gaskets like in the video I posted above. Make sure you level is at the "MIN" line on the bottle, anything more than that is over full. High boost pressures can take their toll, if the tuner is cranking out that much boost I would seriously consider removing it and re-evaluating your condition. If things clear up, look into an SCT. Plenty of guys on here can recommend a good tuner that will write a tune that will make you happy.

Oh, and if it comes down to it, use OEM HG's and ARP studs. The factory gaskets are just fine, it's the clamping force that seems to be the issue with the 6.0. The studs will address this.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:10 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Props View Post
And what's with all the bad news about black onyx head gaskets thought they were far superior to the OEM ones as per powerstroke help Bill Hewitt says?
Nope, they are not far superior. Hope you got the mkm kit with the oem gaskets? That kit does cost more. Google black onyx gaskets and search this forum and others and you will be horrified like you were in your first post.

Last edited by DoubleDpsd; 02-20-2012 at 11:43 AM.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:23 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by darsey715 View Post
Nope, they are not far superior. Hope you got the mkm kit with the oem gaskets? That kit does cost more. Google black onyx gaskets and search this forum and others and you will be horrified like you were in your first post. lol
You have got to be kidding me !! Fock!!!!! Already ordered and on the ups truck Sinister black onyx gaskets. Great. Why would they even sell these focking things damn it !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.