Buying a used SCT X3 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2012, 06:23 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Buying a used SCT X3

So I will be purchasing a used X3 tomorrow. I have made sure it is unmarried and unlocked. So do I just plug it in to my truck when I get it or do I need to update the software on the X3 first on SCT's website? I am really excited to get this on the truck.

I'm thinking either Looney or SRL. I have read a million threads about these tunes. I think I am going to go with Looney only cause people seem to say the shifting is nice. I have gauges and a coolant filter and will be changing my coolant over this week to ELC. I have stock head bolts cause the dealer would not put ARP's in when I had them redone. Hope everything goes good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2012, 06:36 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Congrats on getting the sct I ordered mine friday and cuz the weekend I won't get it until tuesday. But from what I have read even from the sct website brand new or used you need to plug it into your computer and make sure that it is up to date. and you need to make sure you save your stock file before you ever do any update just incase.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:37 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
oh yeah and you can save your stock file to your computer but you won't be able to view it of corse but you will have it incase anything ever happens
Old 02-19-2012, 06:42 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Which X-3? Original that holds canned and custom tunes, or the newer style that holds just custom tunes.

If its the original style, I recommend updating the device first. This way you will have the latest firmware and tune revision.

If its the newer style, your gonna need custom tunes written for your truck and PCM strategy. I also recommend updating the device first.

The person you bought it from, does he have the same year truck or same PCM strategy? The '03-'04 truck strategies won't work on the '05-'07 truck PCM, and vise versa. If you have the same group year (03-04) or (05-07), some of the strategies will work with-in the same group year. IDK what strategies for the group year can be interchangeable.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilpooh View Post
Which X-3? Original that holds canned and custom tunes, or the newer style that holds just custom tunes.

If its the original style, I recommend updating the device first. This way you will have the latest firmware and tune revision.

If its the newer style, your gonna need custom tunes written for your truck and PCM strategy. I also recommend updating the device first.

The person you bought it from, does he have the same year truck or same PCM strategy? The '03-'04 truck strategies won't work on the '05-'07 truck PCM, and vise versa. If you have the same group year (03-04) or (05-07), some of the strategies will work with-in the same group year. IDK what strategies for the group year can be interchangeable.
Thanks for the help. I actually have read all of your threads bout these things and have found them very helpful. It is the newer one with the XP serial number. His strategy does not match mine and he had it on an 04 and I have an 06. My strategy is VXCF9H7. I knew going into it that I would have to buy tunes so that's why when I was buying used I didn't want to spend more than $180. I figured $100 for tunes and I'd still be ahead than buying new.
As far as tunes I know you have a lot of them. Do you run the Looney and SRL unstudded by chance? If so of the 2 which do you feel is the better tune for a daily driver and has the best trans manners? Also which do you recommend for tunes for towing?
Thanks for all of the help.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:15 PM
Powerstroke Techie

I'm studded. As far as what tunes are the best, tunes in my truck and driving style may not react the same in your truck. It's also a matter of personal preference. Some guys like a tow tune for daily driving, some prefer race tunes.

As for me, I prefer the race tunes for daily driving. The each race tunes I got, have their own personality. One has early TC lock up, others have late TC lock up. I like all my tunes and switch them around every couple of months.

I tow with a heavy foot, and have tried Matt's and Eric's tow tunes. The power was just not enough for me. I prefer Vivian's Tow/Agg when towing. But please keep in mind, others may prefer Matt's or Eric's over Vivian, it's a matter of personal preference.

IMO, you can't go wrong with any of the well known tune writers, if there is something you don't like about the tune, have them tweak it to your liking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.