07 out of warranty, time for some changes - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2012, 06:13 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
07 out of warranty, time for some changes

I really like my truck, but with the price of diesel lately, I started looking at new gassers. At $20k + difference in my truck for an equivalent gasser, I decided that I could buy a lot of upgrades and diesel instead. Besides, I really like the truck I have.

With this in mind, the first two years I had the truck, I lost 5 mph on two different test hills. One that I used empty, and one pulling my travel trailer. I also lost 1 to 1 1/2 mpg. I figured I had been re-flashed at some point, but my ecm code is VXCF4X3, So I don't think a re-flash is the culprit.

At any rate, here is what I would like to accomplish; I would like to get back my fuel economy and add some hp with out compromising the trucks inherit reliability...within reason. I understand once you leave stock, reliability could become an issue.

The truck is a daily driver. I use it for work some, and it is the family vacation mobile as we pull our travel trailer with it, and it has a whole lot more room than our Exploder in the back seat for the kids. So...I don't want to go crazy here. I want to start out economically and if that is a moot point, then to do things in stages. I also don't care for loud droning exhaust's either. A light rumble would be OK.

The reason I ask is, I have read so much on the 6.0 that my head is spinning. My 7.3s were easy. Intake, Magnaflow 4 inch exhaust, BTS valve body, a set of guages, and a flip chip and all was good. With the 6.0, I'm not so sure. One place I read that the egr delete is a must yet my dealer, even though they do them, says no. Just keep your coolant flushed and oil changed and you won't have any problems.

So, what's the consensus? I figured on a blue fuel pressure spring for sure, maybe a turbo or cat back exhaust, an sct x3 w/custom tunes, an edge cts for guages. Later on do the the egr delete and head studs at the same time. Or...should I do things in a different order?

any input would be appreciated.

thanks in advance,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2012, 11:50 PM

To start with you need to get a coolant filter on ASAP to remove the casting sand and other junk in the cooling system. Must be in service for 5-7000 miles before a coolant flush.
Get the Edge Insight CTS expandable pyro coming.
Next get the fuel pressure gauge then install the new reg kit.
When you know your spread ECT-EOT max 15* by Ford i think 10* your oil cooler is getting plugged do a coolant flush useing Restore and Restore+
Run cetane boost in the fuel and once a week drive it like you stole it to keep the turbo and egr valve clean and working.
A larger exhaust will drop your egt by 50* only, no big improvement
Keep the stock air intake, it is about as good as they come good to 500hp
If you are into tunes be ready for ARP studs they will take it for a while then let go but if you do get the SCT Xcallibrator3 W/ Custom Tunes By Innovative Diesel or Matt at Gearhead.
Run a 5w40 Syn oil your injectors will like it and use only Ford or Racor filters max on the oil 5k because of the shear of the oil by the injectors and 10k on fuel filters if you pull and 15k if you run solo.
I pull a 14k 5er with no problems this is the only thing my 06 is used for my 97 is the grocery getter.
Hope this helps
2 stroker
Old 02-20-2012, 09:17 AM

I would do this:
1.) get scan gauge ii from autozone for 150 bucks and you have a good set of gauges.
1a.)delete or block the uppipe to egr cooler
2.) switch to elc
3.) blue spring mod
4.) get an sct and some custom tunes, you will never look back.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:13 PM

Hey, thanks for the replies guys. It has given me a starting point anyway. Probably going to go with a Sinister coolant filter first, blues spring upgrade, then a good gauge set like the Edge CTS or Scan gauge. Might even check into the DashBoss.

Thanks again!
Old 02-20-2012, 08:20 PM

sounds good to me. once u do those, u will have a very reliable truck. then u can get a 4in exhaust and tune itt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.