Labor for egr delete - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2012, 10:57 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Labor for egr delete

My truck is at the dealership for headgaskets. The cab is off and I just dropped the heads off at the machine shop. I have the dealership talked into installing apr studs and an egr delete upon reassembly. How much additional labor will that be for installing the delete as opposed reinstalling the egr cooler? I am trying to get a fix for what I should be charged for the delete.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2012, 11:06 AM
Premium Member

Since they are already in there, it would almost be less work to install the delete than it would to put the old cooler back on.

What about your oil cooler? Are you replacing that while they are at it?
Old 02-16-2012, 11:11 AM

They said the oil cooler is fine but I am going to have them replace it anyway. I cant do the bulletproof one right now$$$$$$, so i am going with oem and just stay on top of the flushes to keep everything nice and clean. I think I will have them put on a coolant filter as well....any ideas on labor on that one??
Old 02-16-2012, 11:18 AM
information regurgitator

Labor for what? Putting on a coolant filter?
Might take you an hour/45 minutes in your driveway with a screwdriver and a socket set....with beer and cig breaks.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:24 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

they shouldnt charge you to do the egr delete since the heads and stuff are off. if they do tell them that it was part of reassembly anyways and take it off. 9 outta 10 shops wont charge labor to do it if they are doing the heads at the same time. but say you just wanted an egr delete done the book time on it is close to 8 hours i think but most of the time can be done in 4-6. when they start the reassembly though all they would have to do is remove the egr cooler which at that point would be 2 bolts and then put the delete on which is another 2 bolts and your done. if i were you id fight for them not to charge you because if they do thats BS! and the oem oil cooler will be perfect! to me the BDP is nice but overpriced for me.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:26 AM
information regurgitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfennen View Post
so i am going with oem and just stay on top of the flushes to keep everything nice and clean
If you have Ford do this work, I will assume that you plan on sticking with the Ford Gold coolant... You need to know that using that coolant doesn't just require a flush on occasion..it requires testing the Nitrite/freezepoint in the coolant every 15,000 miles/600 engine hours (whatever occurs first) and adding the VC-8 chemical as needed. It also requires a full flush of the cooling system using the VC-9 product every 45,000 miles/1800 engine hours.
Ford TSB detailing the maintenance requirements for using the Ford Gold coolant in Powerstroke Diesel engines... CLICK HERE
Old 02-16-2012, 11:33 AM

Thanks for all the info!
Old 02-16-2012, 11:57 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC F-350 View Post
Might take you an hour/45 minutes in your driveway with a screwdriver and a socket set....with beer and cig breaks.
LOL, beer cigs

Sent from my ADR6300 using AutoGuide.com App
Old 02-16-2012, 11:58 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC F-350 View Post
Oops..... Beer, cigs, and a magazine. Quick simple install.

Sent from my ADR6300 using AutoGuide.com App
Old 02-17-2012, 05:40 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

since you guys are discussing the egr delete I have a quick question. I just bought a 04 6.0 crew cab 4x4 king ranch with 83k (mint cherry!) I am wondering what are all of the pros and cons to this. And just some insight my father has been a diesel tech for about 30 something years for the same company so all mods and stuff we will be doing ourselves. Beside we have plenty of friends who also are diesel techs that own them and have already done this process I just wanted to hear yall fellas opinion if I should do it really really soon or the apr studs first and all that great stuff...? Thanks in advance for the insight and help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.