What Kills tuned 6.0 headgaskets/bolts? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2007, 03:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What Kills tuned 6.0 headgaskets/bolts?

What parameter that tuners change to create additional power cause the headgaskets/bolts to fail?

Are there things people can do to lessen chances of HG failure with tuned motors?

How many tuned 6.0 trucks have high milage without any troubles and what was your key to success?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2007, 03:32 PM
Premium Member

The trucks don't even have to be tuned. Mine blew on my bone stock 04'.
Old 09-16-2007, 03:33 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to slammedSI Send a message via MSN to slammedSI Send a message via Yahoo to slammedSI
Its a hit and mis. some pop on the stock ford flash some dont. There are alot of us that run really hot tunes and other mods with out problems. Rodslinger runs meth, n20, and a really hot tune and havent had problems. So there really isnt a way to tell.
Old 09-16-2007, 03:35 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedoug View Post
What parameter that tuners change to create additional power cause the headgaskets/bolts to fail?

Are there things people can do to lessen chances of HG failure with tuned motors?

How many tuned 6.0 trucks have high milage without any troubles and what was your key to success?
1-overheating,getting the EGT's to such a high level at extended lengths of time, plus weak/*****y OEM ones that stretch.

2-guages and limitations of your right foot not going to the floor for a long time.

3-putting in ARP or aftermarket headstuds.
Old 09-16-2007, 03:45 PM
Strokin' In Dixie-Land

Basically, you are tapping into the extra power that's available when you begin to 'up-tune'. The engine is capable of handling the power. Keeping egt's in check is very important. The original design of the 6.0 was for a certain HP. Increasing that HP stresses / stretches the factory head bolts, leading to head gasket failure. This is why you read / hear a lot about installing head studs, and in some cases, premium head gaskets. These head studs are stronger, resist stretching and are torqued to a degree which keeps the heads pulled flat down toward the block, keeping the head gaskets intact.
Old 09-16-2007, 04:20 PM
Emergency Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedoug View Post

the added cyl pressures stress out the hg
Old 09-16-2007, 04:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

So it soundls like its hit and miss. But driving like an old man most of the time is your best bet to save the heads.

I have found with my 3 tunes the Extreme 100HP 200TQ setting seems to have the most improved drive experience, and best improvements in MPG. The EGT stays around 600-1000 in most regular driving conditions. EGT shoots up above 1250 for a couple of seconds when I stand on the pedal. Driving reguar the truck feels pretty normal, but the beast can be unleashed if you need to pass or get into traffic.
Old 09-16-2007, 05:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustindiesel View Post
the added cyl pressures stress out the hg
there's your answer right there. the cylinder pressures.

that is the main reason why the SCT tuners are so much safer than plug in modules like the edge. the edge simply advances the fuel timing which SERIOUSLY SPIKES the cylinder pressures,

the SCT can be programmed for more or less timing also, but increases the amount of fuel without increasing the timing enough to do damage.

once i have my headstuds put in, i will have my ultracomp file changed from 10* timing to 14* timing.

you DONT NEED high cylinder pressures to make high horsepower
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.