Head Gaskets - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2012, 12:00 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Head Gaskets

I have been looking around at a bunch of different posts about head gaskets for the 2003 6.0l and i was just wondering if i should just stick with OEM gaskets when i stud and egr delete, or should i go with a aftermarket product??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2012, 01:40 PM

Can't go wrong with the OEM's some think the Black Onyx are better, but in my opinion either is fine as long as you follow proper procedures. The Black Onyx seem to be more finicky to a better block/head prep. Either way the heads need to be milled at a machine shop to insure that they are flat. Following the Ford procedure for warpage is just too loose of tolerances.

Last edited by Fred@PMM; 02-14-2012 at 01:55 PM.
Old 02-14-2012, 05:36 PM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Abrannan19
^very well said.

I think both gaskets are alike in the fact they both work best with heads that are perfectly flat and I think lots of people arent checking the heads when doing studs then having issues down the road with pressure and automatically blame the gasket wether it be the black or oem gaskets, what we have found is if there is pressure is in the system after studs and gaskets are done you have a deeper problem with the bottom end.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:43 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abrannan19 View Post
^very well said.

I think both gaskets are alike in the fact they both work best with heads that are perfectly flat and I think lots of people arent checking the heads when doing studs then having issues down the road with pressure and automatically blame the gasket wether it be the black or oem gaskets, what we have found is if there is pressure is in the system after studs and gaskets are done you have a deeper problem with the bottom end.
What is the deeper problem? I had my studs and gasket done about 10k miles ago and I'm blowing water out again. I will say I'm pretty hard on my truck. I think I may have just popped a head gasket. It all started after doing a few boosted launchs at 30psi.
Old 02-15-2012, 03:11 AM

ya. I’m getting ready to do head gaskets as well. I’ve been back and fourth on which head gaskets to go with? $150 for black ox. $190 a side oem= $380. That’s a big difference to me. And if I have a deeper problem. Then it’s a real big difference. I’ll need that money to fix that.
Old 02-15-2012, 03:43 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Stick with OEM. Read these 2 threads if you think you can make the black onyx ones work.....

Cab off headgaskets, studs, Oil cooler, STC fitting, and injector swap-PICTURES

10,000 miles on my Black Onyx heagaskets! So far, so good.

Make sure you read the last page on the second post. This guy did all the prep work and still had issues.

I will only use OEM gaskets.
Old 02-15-2012, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenkicker View Post
ya. I’m getting ready to do head gaskets as well. I’ve been back and fourth on which head gaskets to go with? $150 for black ox. $190 a side oem= $380. That’s a big difference to me. And if I have a deeper problem. Then it’s a real big difference. I’ll need that money to fix that.
$190 a side is entirely too much, we have the 18mm for $154.95 and the 20mm for $144.95. That includes the bolts and stand pipes as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_2563 View Post
What is the deeper problem? I had my studs and gasket done about 10k miles ago and I'm blowing water out again. I will say I'm pretty hard on my truck. I think I may have just popped a head gasket. It all started after doing a few boosted launchs at 30psi.
What gaskets did you use and were the heads checked for flatness? Was the work done by a dealer? They are notorious for torquing the studs to Ford Specs and not the ARP Specs, no gasket will last if they have used the incorrect specs.
Old 02-15-2012, 04:50 AM

Fred@PMM- oem bolts or arp? if ARP ill take 3 sets lol no joke
Old 02-15-2012, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06StrokeWagon View Post
oem bolts or arp? if ARP ill take 3 sets lol no joke
OEM Bolts, thats the same kit you buy from the dealer. Includes Bolts, Dowels, Head Gasket, & Stand Pipe. Our kit with OEM Gaskets and ARP Studs are $749.95, all our FORD OEM Parts offerings can be found here: Ford 6.0L Powerstroke 03-07 - Ford OEM Parts
Old 02-16-2012, 08:30 AM

I will be doing ARP studs, I've only heard good things about them. I havent had any failures with my truck yet, im just planning a head, and taking care of the problem before it does decide to blow. what would be the deeper problem in the bottom end if there was one?? I'm still new to the scene of performance diesel and trying to learn everything i can about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.