mod/ warranty dilema - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2012, 08:27 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
mod/ warranty dilema

ok guys I have a little delima. I was looking at the mods like coolant filter, blue spring, banjo, coolant flush and switch,ect..... here is my question, My truck has a 2 year warranty and I am sure that if I do one of these like coolant swap Ford will void any warranty that I have, because that is how they roll. Ford put a Brand new motor in 2,000 miles ago and according to my Edge all temps are where they should be. I dont drive the truck hard by any means, infacy my girl calls me a pussy because I dont drive it hard.

I guess my questions are do I leave it until the warranty is out (I paid for it) and then do them all within close proximity of eachother, or do I do them now?

How hard can I drive the truck? I am looking for better MPG and it is a daily driver, but i do open it up to clear out carbon and soot that may build up. the truck came with a replacement filter AFE i believe and the Edge juice with attitude platinum (most dont like it but i dont drive the truck like i drive my race car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2012, 09:20 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
The regulator update is a ford/international product, it is not an aftermarket part. It is OEM. Same with the bolts. They are not 6.0 SPECIFIC, but it is not going to make them flip a B**** over it. Especially for that minor of a part that is not necessarily noticed. Even during tear down.

The edge is ok to have if you do not push the truck to produce past the stock power ratings.
Read this thread.
edge juice with attitude, no display, truck runs bad
All of the power level settings are the same, exact same. The only thing that changes is the throttle input.
So 0 and 5 are the same, except the throttle input.

It would be better to get the oem air filter back on there.

For the coolant system, oil cooler, and egr cooler. Since you are worried about the warranty, I would do a coolant flush, and put new ford coolant in. This will clean out the casting sand and --help prevent-- the silicates from forming by putting new coolant in. I doubt you have any silicate build up since you only have 2,000 miles on the motor and coolant. But there is a chance that you have casting sand. This depends on how ford got you that engine. And that I do not know. Even just a simple system drain and fill of new 50/50 of ford coolant will do a good amount of help will cleaning out the casting sand (if there is sand) and replenishing the coolant chemical strength(preventing silicates from building up).

My dealership did not care that I had a coolant filter on when they did my head gaskets with arp's, oil cooler, egr cooler, turbo under warranty. I also took it in after that a few times for some minor leaks.

I would also try and electronically unplug your egr valve. If you notice any issues, plug the connector back in and clear the codes.

Last edited by smokersteve; 02-13-2012 at 09:33 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVERO2 View Post
ok guys I have a little delima. I was looking at the mods like coolant filter, blue spring, banjo, coolant flush and switch,ect..... here is my question, My truck has a 2 year warranty and I am sure that if I do one of these like coolant swap Ford will void any warranty that I have, because that is how they roll. Ford put a Brand new motor in 2,000 miles ago and according to my Edge all temps are where they should be. I dont drive the truck hard by any means, infacy my girl calls me a pussy because I dont drive it hard.

I guess my questions are do I leave it until the warranty is out (I paid for it) and then do them all within close proximity of eachother, or do I do them now?

How hard can I drive the truck? I am looking for better MPG and it is a daily driver, but i do open it up to clear out carbon and soot that may build up. the truck came with a replacement filter AFE i believe and the Edge juice with attitude platinum (most dont like it but i dont drive the truck like i drive my race car.
I have the same situation, my truck had 40,000 mi when I bought it and purchased Ford ESP warranty. I have had my truck in for several warranty repairs and like smokersteve said my dealership had no problem with a coolant filter and they installed the blue spring and ARP studs when it was in for headgaskets, my service writer did say that changing coolant may affect my warranty so I bought a test kit to check nitrate levels and sticking with the G-7.

As far as the Edge juice, I bought one and used it for a while, it's great for monitoring your temps and on power level one it gave it a little snap and my fuel milage improved. So, imo if you are not towing the juice is ok. I eventually went with SCT and Vivians tunes, you will need a tuner if you unplug your EGR valve. I have mine unplugged but not really sure what the advantage is.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:37 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhetrick2 View Post
I have the same situation, my truck had 40,000 mi when I bought it and purchased Ford ESP warranty. I have had my truck in for several warranty repairs and like smokersteve said my dealership had no problem with a coolant filter and they installed the blue spring and ARP studs when it was in for headgaskets, my service writer did say that changing coolant may affect my warranty so I bought a test kit to check nitrate levels and sticking with the G-7.

As far as the Edge juice, I bought one and used it for a while, it's great for monitoring your temps and on power level one it gave it a little snap and my fuel milage improved. So, imo if you are not towing the juice is ok. I eventually went with SCT and Vivians tunes, you will need a tuner if you unplug your EGR valve. I have mine unplugged but not really sure what the advantage is.
i tow maybe 3 times a year. other than that its just a DD
Old 02-21-2012, 09:49 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVERO2 View Post
i tow maybe 3 times a year. other than that its just a DD
I would tow in stock mode with the Edge Platinum w/juice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.