Did it backwards. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2012, 03:19 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Did it backwards.

Let me just say im new to diesels but researched the 6.0 before I bought it and still messed up lol. So I bought my 03 F350 with 120k miles on the clock about 3 and a half weeks ago. The first thing I did was get the oil changed and add a 5" Mbrp no cat turbo back straight pipe exhaust. Friday I got a Egr Delete with a tuned down tune. Today I ordered a Edge Insight CTS with the upgrade to monitor the egt. I know I did it backwards but I should be fine after those are installed. I'm saving for head studs and oil cooler now. The only power I've had was my coolant was overfilled in the first place and I have got some puking if I run it hard. Any feedback other then I'm stupid is much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2012, 05:13 PM
Premium Member

I wouldn't say you're stupid, you pretty much did what I did to mine. As long as the EOT/ECT temps are happy, your oil cooler is good, don't sweat it. I've had one form or another of programmer on mine since 06, no issues. Personally, I'm not studding mine UNTIL it pushes a gasket. Just don't go pounding the loud pedal below 190*.

Barfing coolant isn't uncommon, just don't go to "FULL" on the degas bottle, coolant tank, whatever.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:20 PM

I'd go ahead and slap a coolant filter on it.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:23 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
I'd go ahead and slap a coolant filter on it.
I just spent my day installing a Sinister coolant filter, should have mentioned that, too!
Old 02-12-2012, 07:36 PM

You should be fine man. Mine was tuned for a good while before I had something to monitor it and I had no problems at all.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:05 PM

How about an oil bypass filter? Im divided between that or tunes because of a 10 degree delta night I had this weekend. Can a bypass save an oil cooler?
Old 02-12-2012, 09:07 PM
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonto View Post
How about an oil bypass filter? Im divided between that or tunes because of a 10 degree delta night I had this weekend. Can a bypass save an oil cooler?
Nope. Filtering your oil won't bring down the temps.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:57 AM

try a good flush first and see if that helps. now i might warn you in some occations this has led to it getting worse and not better but that was because there was just a ton of built up crap! do a search on here for coolant flushes and it should come up with all the stuff you need and how to do it! also you didnt do things backwards if you ask me. doing things backwards to me would mean buying it with an egr delete and putting an egr cooler on it and then adding a banks 6 gun haha! your doing the best thing for your truck that you can right now! most people just buy it and run it hard and dont give .02 about it until it blows up. your on the right path just keep it up and before you know it you will be giving info on here to the new diesel owners yourself!
Old 02-13-2012, 12:52 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
What do you mean by "night"???

is that the only time you saw it like that?

Are you checking your temp deltas when the engine is warmed up fully driving 65 mph on a Flat highway?

Also the coolant temp has to be 190* for the delta to be read correctly...

Any of these parameters are not correct your delta WILL change ie: city driving, going faster, towing, going up a slight incline!
Old 02-13-2012, 02:32 PM

Quote:
An oil by-pass only cleans the oil, the stock filter cleans the oil to 20 microns and the by-pass cleans to 2 microns plus removes the soot from the oil a good move if you plan on keeping the truck just remember you still need to change the oil at 5-7000 miles because of the shear of the oil by the injectors. Now a coolant filter removes the casting sand that helps plug the oil cooler this should be in place 5-7000 miles before a coolant flush to remove the silicate in the system that will turn into a goo from the Restore and Restore+ or Fords uses VC-9 at 2x the cost.
What are your deltas now ECT-EOT running 60 on the freeway after 2-3 minutes 10* or more your oil cooler is getting plugged 15* is the max set by Ford.
2 stroker
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.