Should I Do These Mods? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2012, 05:36 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Should I Do These Mods?

Hello, anyone reading my thread. First of all thank you very much for taking the time to read through my thread. I am new to my 2005 f350 cc lb, but have been doing my homework on proper maintenance. I have owned the truck 3 weeks, and have already installed a 6 inch rc lift, which I am upgrading the shocks on due to poor ride quality. I installed the lift myself, so if anyone needs advice or help I am here. With the lift I also installed 20 inch incubus rims wrapped in 35 pro comp AT's. Now getting to my question.

Should I buy an sct tuner for my truck even at 200600 miles? Or will I destroy it? I plan on doing an egr delete, gauges, exauhst, apr studs, and I think that would be it for now, any advise or opinions would be appreciated, thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2012, 06:54 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Welcome to the Org.

The first thing should ALWAYS be a monitor solution. You need to check the health of the motor.

Here is some reading material for you.
Things to consider about owning a 6.0L

Once you have a monitor solution, and know what condition your motor is in, you'll know what your next step should be.
Old 02-12-2012, 01:20 PM

Thanks pooh

Thanks lilpooh, I'll head over to the link and read up. Even if I decide it's best to not tune due to high mileage, I think I still want to do the egr delete, or would this have a negative affect on things? The previous owner was an older man, took good care, but drove the crap out of it!

Edit: just read through the provided write up, and I think I just added a couple bullet proofing mods to my long list! Great info thanks lilpooh!

Last edited by Fordmaniac; 02-12-2012 at 01:50 PM.
Old 02-12-2012, 01:25 PM
PROUD AMERICAN!!!

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
As stated above, you will definitely want to get some gauges or an EDGE CTS to monitor vitals before you do any kind of performance mods, hell it's a good idea to do that even if you do not do any performance mods in my opinion.

With the upgrades that you plan on doing, I wouldn't hesitate to get an SCT w/ custom tunes for the truck.

Have you tried to get an OASIS report for the truck to see what kind of issues it has had in the past and what work was done to address those issues?
Old 02-12-2012, 01:51 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
A monitor solution first, this and along with the info on that link, will tell you if you need to do a coolant flush and OIL COOLER replacement. Check your deltas, check your fuel psi, check your FICM volts, check everything!!!

Then after you have determined what needs to be fixed and are ready to order parts, you need to make a decision if you can get away with deleting the EGR cooler in accordance to your state laws (still illegal by fed law).

At this point while your digging into the motor to fix the known issues, you can do the EGR delete. This way your only digging into the motor one time. While your at it, replace all the known failure OEM parts per your year truck, and upgrade to the newer designs.

More info for you.
Write Up: Bullet-Proofing the 6.0L PSD.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:54 PM

Rattlesnake

How would I go about getting an oasis report? I want the edge monetering system before anything, they're a great tool, and very useful! Thank you for the guidence!
Old 02-12-2012, 10:03 PM

Pooh

I definitely want to flush regardless and use better coolant than that ford gold or gold ford lol! Thanks for the new link I'll get on it ASAP!
Old 02-12-2012, 10:08 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

you can go to a ford dealer and get one. there are some people on here that can get one. maybe they will chime in
Old 02-12-2012, 11:54 PM

I might go down to the ford dealer tomorrow thanks 007, I hope it's free! I live in a city with 3 or 4 ford dealers so It won't be a problem.
Old 02-13-2012, 05:27 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Whatever you do, get some gauges and/or digital monitor first. You will thank yourself later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
6.0, high miles, new guy, should i, tune

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.