Edge CTS Evolution or Insight for 6.0? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2012, 08:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Edge CTS Evolution or Insight for 6.0?

Hello all, I'm relatively new to the forum, and same can be said for owning my '06 6.0 (about 6 months now). I bought it to pull my camper and got a pretty good deal on it at 60K.

I read up as much on the truck as I could when we found it, but not as much as I have since... and I have read up extensively now on the EGR and oil cooler issues. My truck doesn't exhibit issues as a normal daily driver, but on a recent trip from Texas to New Mexico pulling my camper, it burped off a couple of times. Had Ford check it out there and their EGR cooler and oil cooler tests did not show problems- but, I'm skeptical. At this point I don't know if it's only partially blocked oil cooler, and/or head gaskets going. I don't ever see any white smoke, nor black for that matter. I love this truck, so I've decided not to be scared off by all of this I want to do what I can to take care of it's issues as I can. I've got a coolant filter on and have changed it once and found the sand, changing my fuel filters and oil on schedule. So my next step is to pick up an Edge CTS to monitor the parameters I need to (EGT, water temp, etc). Just wondering what most of you who have the Edge are using- Insight or Evolution? Looks to be a couple hundred dollars difference.

Thanks in advance. This is a very informative forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2012, 04:33 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I have the Evolution, only because I bought it when it first came available and the Insigt version was not an option. I will never run it as a programmer, I just loved the display options and didn't mind paying extra for the tuner/Evolution model at the time. I don't know if I will ever put a tuner on, but now that I have the evolution I could go the griphon tuner route. Some have posted they like the griphons, but if you do your homework around here most have excellent results with SCT tuning. If I ever tune it will probably be with an SCT tuner. I don't know that I would spend the extra couple of hundred on the Evolution. I would probably save it towards an SCT/tunes down the road.
Old 02-12-2012, 04:43 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to 2003kingranch
I'd buy just an insight for now so you can figure out what is goin on with your truck. Then tune it ect.. if you are going to tune it SCT is the only way to go

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide
Old 02-12-2012, 05:12 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

yep, what ^kingranch said...
Old 02-12-2012, 05:32 AM

Insight CTS. Best mod/money I spent on the truck so far. Found a faulty ficm in the first 30 seconds of it running. Fixed it that night. Watch Eot, Ect, egt, ficm and whatever else you wanna watch.
Old 02-12-2012, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wick89gt View Post
Insight CTS. Best mod/money I spent on the truck so far. Found a faulty ficm in the first 30 seconds of it running. Fixed it that night. Watch Eot, Ect, egt, ficm and whatever else you wanna watch.
he also meant to say to watch fuel pressure, anything below 45psi will kill your injectors...
Old 02-12-2012, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strokeittothemax View Post
he also meant to say to watch fuel pressure, anything below 45psi will kill your injectors...
Yeah, that too!!
Old 02-12-2012, 07:53 AM

if your going to get an edge insight you misewell get the turbo timer, egt probe, and fuel pressure add on... just my $.02
Old 02-12-2012, 08:04 AM

Funny you say that. I was just discussing the Turbo timer with a friend of mine last night. I will have that on my truck very soon.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:17 AM

haha yea, edge really has nailed the money with that system... i was cheap and bought a scanguage so i gotta see if anyone in town will do gauges for me on my truck...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.