Finalizing my parts list! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2012, 02:13 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Finalizing my parts list!

I will finally starting my stud and gasket replacement this coming week. I bought the truck with 78k miles on it and started with 4" mbrp exhaust, SCT, afe cold air and Insight. The Insight was the best investment yet. I quickly realized how bad my oil cooler was clogged up. I drive 20 miles to work, all interstate driving at 70mph. And by the time I would get to work I would be in the 220 range and water temp would be 180 to 185. And then last month I started noticing the truck whistling from the degas bottle and leaking water on both cylinder heads shortly after putting the truck on the performance tune. Both signs of blown head gaskets. So now I have a big list of parts to install. Let me know what you think. I will tow a little but not often and the most weight will be a fox mustang or jeep cj7 on a open car trailer.

ARP headstuds
Ford head gaskets
Heads checked and surfaced
Ford oil cooler
Updated turbo drain tube
New dummy plugs and stand pipes
New intake gaskets and O-rings where needed.
Sinister egr delete
Powermax turbo
Warren Diesel 175 or 190 injectors Still not sure which ones yet.
Driven diesel regulated return fuel system
Fuel pressure sensor for Insight
Sinister coolant filtration
ELC coolant
BD CCV
BD intercooler boots
Hamilton valve springs and possibly push rods
Innovative diesel tunes
And of course Rev-X.
GO-GO solenoid

Intercooler and tranny will be next on the list. Going to start with my coolant flush this weekend. Is there anything I am forgetting. Please let me know. Thanks for any info or help.

Last edited by eabcobra; 02-16-2012 at 02:56 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2012, 04:41 AM
Turbos = Witchcraft

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Add the STC fitting to that list since you'll be that far into it already. Also, if you are going with 190s you will for sure need to build your transmission, and probably with the 175s too unless you are really good at keeping your foot off the throttle, trust me that is difficult Have you checked into some nonVGT options instead of the powermax?
Old 02-10-2012, 04:55 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Wow. Long list you got there. By the way man, come join us Carolina guys in the CPA Chat Thread if you'd like.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:02 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

My truck was built 12/03. I didn't think I would need a stc fitting update on it. I have pretty good self control. Haha. Tranny is next on the list for sure. Just doing all the stuff I can while cab is off. Haven't really looked at any non-vgt turbos. I like the option of the exhaust brake when I go to the mountains. That's why I decide to go with the powermax.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:18 AM
Turbos = Witchcraft

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by eabcobra View Post
My truck was built 12/03. I didn't think I would need a stc fitting update on it. I have pretty good self control. Haha. Tranny is next on the list for sure. Just doing all the stuff I can while cab is off. Haven't really looked at any non-vgt turbos. I like the option of the exhaust brake when I go to the mountains. That's why I decide to go with the powermax.
You are correct sir no STC fitting needed. My recommendation, FWIW, is to go with the 175s and a powermax. I have 190s and the pmax right now, and it can get pretty hot pretty quick. A nonVGT will flow more and hopefully keep the EGTs a little lower, but the powermax is a good turbo and you can't beat the price.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:54 AM

You don't need to buy new stand pipes as they come with the HeadGaskets. You do have to buy the dummy plugs though. The HeadGaskets from ford only come in a package with stock headbolts too. If you want to save money you can get just the gaskets from International. They do sell just the gasket but I have no idea if they are the same as what ford puts in the box. You could go look an if they are the same I'd buy it that way. Look into that sooner rather then later as I waited to the last min on a Friday an International said they don't stock them because they never have problems... let's not go there.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:02 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I already have the head gasket kits. I know the stand pipes come with the head gasket kit. The bolts will become scrap.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:56 AM

Quote:
I will finally starting my stud and gasket replacement this coming week. I bought the truck with 78k miles on it and started with 4" mbrp exhaust, SCT, afe cold air and Insight. The Insight was the best investment yet. I quickly realized how bad my oil cooler was clogged up. I drive 20 miles to work, all interstate driving at 70mph. And by the time I would get to work I would be in the 220 range and water temp would be 180 to 185. And then last month I started noticing the truck whistling from the degas bottle and leaking water on both cylinder heads shortly after putting the truck on the performance tune. Both signs of blown head gaskets. So now I have a big list of parts to install. Let me know what you think. I will tow a little but not often and the most weight will be a fox mustang or jeep cj7 on a open car trailer.

ARP headstuds
Ford head gaskets
Heads checked and surfaced
Ford oil cooler
Updated turbo drain tube
New dummy plugs and stand pipes
New intake gaskets and O-rings where needed.
Sinister egr delete
Powermax turbo
Warren Diesel 175 or 190 injectors Still not sure which ones yet.
Strictly diesel regulated return fuel system
Fuel pressure sensor for Insight
Sinister coolant filtration
ELC coolant
BD CCV
BD intercooler boots
Hamilton valve springs and possibly push rods
Innovative diesel tunes
And of course Rev-X.
GO-GO solenoid

Intercooler and tranny will be next on the list. Going to start with my coolant flush this weekend. Is there anything I am forgetting. Please let me know. Thanks for any info or help.
Be more than happy to give you a quote on the above parts, obviously we don't carry Sinister as we manufacture our own EGR Deletes & Coolant Filters but would love to earn your business!
Old 02-10-2012, 11:00 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The parts that I have listed are the parts that I already have with exception of the injectors. Thanks tho.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:01 AM

Quote:
The parts that I have listed are the parts that I already have with exception of the injectors. Thanks tho.
We can still help with the injectors as well, let me know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.