Edge Evolution Install 2006 F350 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2007, 07:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Edge Evolution Install 2006 F350

Today I installed my Edge Evolution in my 06 F350. I will share my experience to help others.

The product is packaged very nicely and includes good instructions and almost everything you need for the install. The only thing I had to purchase was a 21/64" drill bit and 1/8" NPT tap. The dash mount came color matched perfect for my gray interior. All dash mounting hardware and adhesive is include.

The first order of business was to install the EGT. I am sure as many first timers will agree, a bit of stress goes along with the first time you drill into your manafold. Anyway took it slow and easy and things went just like I had read. I did mine with the motor off and no grease on the drill bit. I instead used a magnet on a bendable wire tool that I have. This worked very well and I was suprised how much drill shavings I pulled from the inside of the manafold. Even got some crumbs after tapping. I also used the shop vac trick for good measure. But I would highly recommend getting a small magnet tool to insert into the drilled hole.

I ran the wire for the EGT Probe into the cab via an existing hole in the firewall. I chose to install the black box on the EGT cable (Amplifier) in the cab under the drivers side dash area. Plenty of wire for that and I thought it was a safer choice for the electronics.

Routing the OBDII cable is a snap. One end goes to the tuck data port and the other goes to the back of the Evolution monitor. By the way the EGT wire has a nice plug that goes right into the side of the OBDII Edge Plug. The wiring is very clean and super simple.

The dash mount takes some time to get everything just right. It is mounted with double sided tape, metal brackets, and velcro from the inside. The mount is very secure looks nice and is very visable. The Fit of the mount while good I am a perfectionist and I would rate the fit a 8 of 10.

Before I did my final wiring I brought the Evolution monitor into the house and ran the Lightning Software to update both the Firmware and the tunes. The units lastest tune software now has 4 settings plus stock. They are 0=Stock 1=Trans Only 2=Econo 3=Tow/Safe 4=Extreme.

So back out to the truck. The monitor is held in place in the dash mount via a rubber fitting. Works very well easy to install and remove, very secure and good fit and finish.

Followed the instructions to fire it up the Evolution read my stock engine and trans files saved them and was ready to tune.
I change a few items in setup. Screen color to 100% Green to match factory and choose Boost, EGT, Trans Temp, and Ecgine Coolant Temp for my for monitored gauges. All the Data readings seem to be very accurate.

Okay I started off with the Tow/Safe tune ran it around the city a bit. I did some standing on the go pedal and it brought the truck to life nicely. Did not spew black smoke or break the tires loose excessivly. Next did the same tests with the Extreme tune, unbeliveable! No truck this size should have this much performance. It was awesome. The truck spun the 33s like they were bicycle tires. 2nd gear was resulted in more rubber left on the pavement and caused the backend to get squirrely. A good cloud of black smoke emitts from the exhause when on the pedal in this tune. It was down right scary driving my truck with this tune. It would take some getting accustiom too. The shifting in both tunes was very smooth when being easy and firmed up when I got on it. No screwy shifts at all, felt very nice every shift.

I rolled by my neighbors place with the same truck as me and gave him a ride with Extreme tune loaded and his mouth was wide open the whole time. He got out of the truck and went inside his house and got on the internet and ordered himself one.

Changing tunes takes about 30 secs with truck off and stopped and works very well. I switched back to the Tow/Safe tune and am going to test that for a week or so and check MPG. The in dash MPG computer seems to work as well as it did stock, but I will run numbers hand calculated, and share in a week or so.

So far I am very impressed with this product. What you get for the price is hard to beat. I would have spent close to the same on just the 4 gauge install kit, mount, and color match paint as I did on the Evolution complete. Even if a guy never tuned his truck the gauges are sweet.

It is very early and I have a lot more experience to gain with this product towing, EGT temps on different levels, But my first impression is very positive and would recommend this to somebody else looking for a simple way to bring their 6.0 to life.

Below are some pics of the final installation.

Best Regards
Doug

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2007, 07:48 PM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

Good job man
Old 09-12-2007, 07:50 PM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

I do see one possible problem down the road though. Pull your egt probe back out and use some high temp anti seize on the threads just in case your probe goes bad you can remove the old one and replace
Old 09-12-2007, 07:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
good job... looks great
Old 09-13-2007, 01:03 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

are the shifts pretty smooth
Old 09-13-2007, 05:04 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I was amazed at how well it shifts. Just like stock when driving normal. When you stand on the go pedal they firm, precise, and no hesitation. Very impressed with the shifting!
Old 09-13-2007, 07:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Vitalidle

Thanks for the tip. I got a tube of anti seize and pulled out the EGT sleeve and the EGT probe. I put anti seize on both threads and reinstalled. Thanks for the help thats a great tip.

Doug
Old 09-13-2007, 07:11 PM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

You bet hate for the probe to go bad and you have to tap another hole.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:18 PM
Banned

welcome to the dark side of performance diesel tuning !!

the power doesn't suprise me anymore, i've run the edge/the bullydog and now the SCT. good luck keeping money in your wallet now that you've got PMS !!
Old 09-14-2007, 10:22 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

EGT's

How high have do your EGT's go in the extreme mode. I noticed mine were getting pretty high.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.