48V vs. 58V FICMs - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2012, 07:24 AM
Turbos = Witchcraft

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
48V vs. 58V FICMs

I was reading through the Tuned FICMs thread and have been thinking that I want to get my FICM tuned in the future. I haven't checked the voltage on it yet, probably because it's 7 degrees outside and I am a wimp, but I was thinking that if the voltage is even a little bit low, I would get it repaired or replaced right away.

I just want to start a discussion on whether it is better to get a 48V tuned FICM or a 58V tuned FICM. I understand the concept of going to a higher voltage FICM, but I wonder if the extra heat generated by higher voltage will shorten the life of the FICM.

I'd like to hear your opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2012, 07:31 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I know I visited in depth with the guys at Swamps before I ordered my 58V with the PHP tune. They really cleared up alot of gray areas I had with the 58V units, especially in regards to towing since that's mostly what I use my truck for. Really great guys to deal with. As far as the FICM with the flash goes.... Turned my truck into a completely different animal! Night and day difference.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 01-19-2012, 08:05 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I'm in the same situation. Mine has dropped down to 40V on the -10 degree mornings a couple of times. Once I start it the voltage goes right up to 50V. Trying to decide weather it's worth getting the 58V or not. Quick Tricks website says once they have them in stock they are going to be about $400 with a lifetime warranty. People say it helps on cold starts which would help me out a lot here. Mine always starts good, but I don't want to let it go too long if the voltage is dropping on these cold mornings.
Old 01-19-2012, 05:36 PM
Turbos = Witchcraft

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
So we know that the 58V is safe for towing, and improves cold starting. Does anyone know if they last longer than the 48V or if it's about the same or less?
Old 01-19-2012, 05:45 PM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Well all of the 58v units I've seen are upgraded with parts that are known to fail in the oem ones.
Old 01-28-2012, 12:53 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
So is it worth spendind the $$$ to get a 58V and when you get a PHP, Innovative, KEM tune in the FICM can you also have a tuner installed (quadzilla, bullydog, sct, banks) and stack the tuner and FICM tune to make combined hp numbers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.