Air dog II - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2012, 08:19 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Air dog II

Will it hurt anything to go ahead and install the airdog still running stock injectors and turbo until I get the pmax and injectors in? My truck is goin in for surgery feb. 1st getting studs and gaskets and want the the injectors and turbo by then! Any help greatly appreciated

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2012, 08:22 AM

The sooner the better
Old 01-16-2012, 08:24 AM
one day at a time

Add it now. Not only will it not hurt anything, it's better fuel delivery then the stock HFCM. Even stock injectors can cause you to drop fuel pressure with a hot tune.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:37 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I installed an AD2 long before I did any other mods. I do however recommend a fuel tank sump, not absolutely necessary but a good idea. http://www.alligatorperformance.com/...?cPath=192_309
Old 01-16-2012, 09:19 AM

Thanks very much guys! Prolly gunna order the billet sump also!

Old 01-16-2012, 11:35 AM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by shu873 View Post
Add it now. Not only will it not hurt anything, it's better fuel delivery then the stock HFCM. Even stock injectors can cause you to drop fuel pressure with a hot tune.
Either my TSD SPD must not be that hot of a tune or my stock HFCM is on steroids or my RR kit actually supplies more fuel to the heads because I have my fuel pressure set at ~60psi and it drops maybe 2psi on a WOT run.

An AD2 is probably good for removing air in the fuel and having the ability to deliver a larger amount of fuel than the stock HFCM, but IMO the stock delivery system is where your hugest restriction is and a RR kit is needed regardless of what type of fuel pump you run. While I dont have one yet, I also believe a sump is a very much needed item as well to remove A LOT of strain on the fuel pump from being required to suck/draw fuel up from the tank and to the pump. With a sump installed, hydrostatic pressure from the column of fuel in a full tank forces the fuel to the pump so it doesnt have to pull it itself. It is only when the tank getst near empty (i.e. the level in the tank gets below where the fuel pump is) that the fuel pump has to start pulling fuel again. So for probably 3/4 of the time, the fuel pump will see an easier lifestyle and in theory should last longer. JMOs.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:34 PM

I actually try not to let my truck get below 1/4 tank now! Just an old habit lol

Old 01-17-2012, 06:13 AM
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrunner408 View Post
Either my TSD SPD must not be that hot of a tune or my stock HFCM is on steroids or my RR kit actually supplies more fuel to the heads because I have my fuel pressure set at ~60psi and it drops maybe 2psi on a WOT run.

An AD2 is probably good for removing air in the fuel and having the ability to deliver a larger amount of fuel than the stock HFCM, but IMO the stock delivery system is where your hugest restriction is and a RR kit is needed regardless of what type of fuel pump you run. While I dont have one yet, I also believe a sump is a very much needed item as well to remove A LOT of strain on the fuel pump from being required to suck/draw fuel up from the tank and to the pump. With a sump installed, hydrostatic pressure from the column of fuel in a full tank forces the fuel to the pump so it doesnt have to pull it itself. It is only when the tank getst near empty (i.e. the level in the tank gets below where the fuel pump is) that the fuel pump has to start pulling fuel again. So for probably 3/4 of the time, the fuel pump will see an easier lifestyle and in theory should last longer. JMOs.
I have a reg. return also with an Airdog 150 pushing the stock HFCM. Fuel pressure set to 58psi at idle. I see a 4psi decrease at WOT on my race file. I would tend to agree that the stock fuel delivery lines under the hood are a bit of a restriction as I used to loose about 10psi or more before I added a fuel system.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:21 AM

so for a sump you just drill the bottom of the tank dosent weeken the tank... or what about being out in the woods could you catch the fuel line just hanging out the bottom of the tank
Old 01-17-2012, 02:16 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
No it doesn't weaken it, as long as its installed correctly. I do a lot of back country roads and never had an issue but then I have mine piped up with 5/8" stainless steel tubing. I also now have the fuel return going thru a second outer tubing just to test out if it keeps the fuel warmer in cold weather since I no longer have the OEM heater.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.