To BD or not to BD - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2012, 05:35 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
To BD or not to BD

My oil cooler is in good shape right now, but im getting a bonus from work that I want to buy parts with. i have $3000 to play with. I was thinking of getting a BD oil cooler with the cold weather kit, an EGR delete, and an sct with a tune from gearhead. What are your thoughts? Better way to spend the money? All my other mods are in my sig. Thanks for the help. Dustin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2012, 05:45 AM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
If you are doing the work yourself, which I presume you are based on your dollar amount, I would really try to do headstuds since you are in there and already have the engine torn down that far. The BPD kit is a VERY nice and high quality kit and I know you would not be disappointed with it. However, I would recommend you focus on studding the motor first. Make sure you do the job right and get the heads squared away and secured with studs and simply rebuild your oil cooler and do a VERY thorough coolant system flush and swap over to a good ELC.

Basically, what I am trying to get at here is, the BPD kit is a great kit and well worth the money but if you dont have enough money to get the kit AND do studs, then do the studs first with an oil cooler rebuild (which is not that expensive) and then IF you need to replace the oil cooler down the road, you can look at the BPD kit. Another plus is if you go to sell the truck, I would think you would have a better chance at selling it with oem oil system than an aftermarket one. JMO and hope it helps.
Old 01-17-2012, 02:12 AM

Thanks windrunner. I was hoping to avoid the head studs and be easy on it till I could access a lift. LOL Any other suggestions?
Old 01-17-2012, 02:57 AM
Unapologetically American

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I wouldn't waste money on studs, if you're going to do the BPD kit. Sorry Windrunner, but taking the oil cooler from the coolant flow is all a 6.0 should need . The biggest culprit for ruptured EGR coolers, IS a clogged oil cooler. Ruptured EGR coolers lead to blown HG's
Old 01-17-2012, 02:59 AM

Other thoughts for replacement would be the STC fitting, and dummy plugs. Unless thos have been done already. I'd get an Oasis report run on it to check if it was done under warranty already
Old 01-17-2012, 03:31 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I have a 03 and its drinking coolant. Getting ready to do a solution kit. I had to replace my radiator then it started drinking coolant. I think the oil cooler got clogged up boiled the water in the egr cooler and blew the radiator. Any opinions?

Sent from my PG86100 using AutoGuide.Com Free
Old 01-17-2012, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by devster55 View Post
I have a 03 and its drinking coolant. Getting ready to do a solution kit. I had to replace my radiator then it started drinking coolant. I think the oil cooler got clogged up boiled the water in the egr cooler and blew the radiator. Any opinions?

Sent from my PG86100 using AutoGuide.Com Free
You should start a new thread for the coolant drinking, instead of using this one
Old 01-17-2012, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006PSDSD View Post
Other thoughts for replacement would be the STC fitting, and dummy plugs. Unless thos have been done already. I'd get an Oasis report run on it to check if it was done under warranty already
These havent been done yet but im looking into them. How do I get an oasis? Just ask the dealer? Also how can I watch fuel pressure without getting a cts? I eventually want a cts but for it and everything to watch fuel pressure its like $700. Can I get a screw in guage and assume if my fuel pressure is 55-65 lbs at idle im good? I have a 4 guage pillar now for boost, trans temp, pyro, and oil pressure. What are some other options? Thanks for all the help. Dustin
Old 01-17-2012, 04:32 AM

The dealer can get the Oasis. Fuel pressure. you should be able to use a gauge under teh hood, just make sure it can handle the heat under there, especially during long idles, or in super hot weather. The CTS is your best bang for your buck IMO. But in your case, if you liek the look of the pillar gauges, you could look at the ScangaugeII to monitor more PID's. I'm not sure if it will read the FP though
Old 01-17-2012, 07:25 AM

scan guage cant monitor the fuel unless they have add ons also. Someone has to know a different way to do this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.