HEAD STUD TIME - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2012, 04:41 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
HEAD STUD TIME

I have been noticing a odd whistle sound coming from engine bay while under load. Have been hearing it for a week thinking maybe turbo? (WRONG) Well the other day I was under the hood and noticed Anti Freeze coming out the cap. Not a lot, but its there enough to worry me. I was told the whistle can be the cap releasing pressure??? Truck has 77,900 miles on it exactly and hasn't moved since I noticed that. So thinking its most likely gaskets?? its time for the stud job. I got a quote from Big Dog Diesel. They do roughly 3-4 6.0's a week while running two shifts. They said its usually 2,400-2,700 depending on the heads. This is parts, labor, EGR delete, taking apart turbo cleaning it, all new fluids and all. Is this a good deal? Sometimes I want to trade it, but I am in love with it cant part from it. I will do 10 Head Gaskets before i buy a dodge...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2012, 05:58 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
That's a good deal if it includes machining heads. I got a qoute at 2200 for the work and parts. I already have egr delete and alot of the updated parts but the 2200 doesn't include machining the heads and that's the expensive part so make sure ya know what ya get
Old 01-15-2012, 06:24 AM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Yea screw dodge. I cant tell you how many guys I run into that like to rip on ford because they think we have a weak motor and their "Cummins" is bullet proof and will pull a mountain. Little do they know that they sacrifice a great truck for just a so called motor. I have yet to meet a guy that buys a dodge with a cummins in it because he really likes the dodge truck. There are only two reasons people buy dodge and that is one, the cummins motor and two, they are cheaper than either chevy or ford.

Anyways back to your question. That seems like a fair price. With the amount of miles on your truck, I would make 100% sure that I knew what the machine shop was doing to your heads. You need to have them magnafluxed for cracks, checked for flatness, and pressure checked to make sure they seal properly. This part alone should cost around $500 because they will clean the heads and even machine them a few thousanths if needed. Now you may also need you valves, which they will usually tell you if you do and will only replace those bad ones. I personally would have all new guides put in and have a valve job done to ensure all the valves seal properly. By the time it will be all said and done, you will probably be looking at around $900-$1000 for the heads to be taken care of properly, around $2k in labor, and then whatever the cost of parts are (provided you are not giving them all of the parts). I guess I would just make sure they spell out for you in detail what you are getting for that price and go from their. Hope this helps.
Old 01-15-2012, 11:03 AM

i thought that the death whistle pushed more towards the block being cracked ?? thats just what ive read and heard i could be wrong ???
Old 01-15-2012, 05:58 PM

I don't know how a shop can do it that cheap.. I just finished doing it myself an got my Ford parts at dealer cost. I'm at just under $1,000 in parts. Thats not the ARP studs of any extras.

My machine work was $240. That's cleaned, magnafluxed, pressure checked and shaved. They also charged me $90 to clean the intake. I had tried very hard to clean it myself an just couldn't get it perfect. When I showed up everyone at the shop knew what I had before I even said it... Owner told me they did 84 last year for local ford dealers. That's 7 a month WOW

I just can't see the whole thing costing that cheap. New fluids (oil,coolant),filters etc...

Im a general contractor in S.Florida an I lose jobs sometimes for prices that I have no idea how they are doing it for. I also win some and realize I was way too cheap. Bus. is tough.

If you can get a good job done for that kinda money I would save up an sit back an wait till I could afford it. No-Bash meant for any company or person who can do that job for that kinda money I just know its ALOT of work.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:39 PM

I would hope that if it was my block being cracked it would be worse than a whistle...?? Here is his email to me:

>>>When I repair them I use New Head Studs, new head gaskets, pressure test the heads and check if they are racked or warped. Very seldom do I find any cracked heads. Approximately 50 % of them are warped. If the heads are warped we cut and resurface them to spec. Block is cleaned and cylinders are checked. I delete the EGR, (this usually improved gas mileage 1 to 2 MPG). Then I dismantle the turbo and clean all internal parts to remove the build up from the coolant going through it. This build up causes the boost to fluctuate and the truck to lose power. I replace the engine oil and filter with new and use new coolant. I then recharge the air conditioning which we originally pulled it to work on engine. We then test run and computer scan engine. Cost is $2,400 to $2,700. depending on The condition of the heads. If they need cut and resurfaced it will be $2,700. plus tax. That is the total cost out the door. This head gasket failure is a very common problem caused by head bolts that stretch because there is not enough of them and they are not large enough. The head studs are many times stronger and do not fail. Once it is repaired with head studs the problem is cured. We do 3 to 4 head gasket jobs per week. Time to do is 3 to 4 days complete. I can get you in the beginning of the week and have you done for the weekend. Call me any time between 8 AM and Midnight. We work 2 shifts daily in the repair shop. Give me a call this evening!!

There isnt many places around my area that work on 6.0's. The ford garages are waaaay to much money. I went to a few different diesel shops and they all gave me this guys card. He works strictly on Powerstrokes.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:50 PM

I have been reading that the sound I am hearing is coming the degas cap? Now like I said I had a little bit of antifreeze around the cap. My truck has not lost power, does not smoke (only for a few seconds at cold start). How do I know if it is the HeadGaskets for sure? Maybe it is a 20 dollar degas cap fix?
Old 01-16-2012, 12:02 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i would start with the cap first then work from there. Maybe you overfilled it? The new standard is the low line. But for 2700 its a great deal. i got a quote last week for over 5k for the whole job. Im going to attempt the job myself when i make it home. goodluck
Old 01-16-2012, 12:25 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
They usually puke out of the degass cap when the gaskets are screwed. The email he sent you sounds pretty honest. (other than the 1-2mog from EGR delete LOL) That is a good price.
Old 01-16-2012, 02:02 PM

I called around today asking about the Degas cap. A good bit of people told me to start with that. So i went and bought a new cap at the Ford garage $$10.88.. Put it on started truck let it warm a little. I took it out the drive around then tested it out. The tea kettle whistle sound is [UGONE[/U] and NO anti freeze coming from cap. What do you guys think? I will keep an eye on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.