What all to do?! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2012, 04:35 AM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
What all to do?!

-Quick story... Well I was on the verge of getting rid of my truck when the dealer offered me a trade in value of $8,500 to which I had to laugh and demand my keys back! So I made the agreement with the wife that I will keep my truck (she REALLY didn't want me to trade it in for a gas burner truck. I didn't want to get rid of it, but economically it was a better choice - until the low ball trade in value that is). So anyways the agreement consisted of me keeping my truck, but I get to make it the way I want to! So I've been catching up on some needed maintaining - rotated the tires and changed the fuel filters. I did what seems to be common by reading around and broke the secondary fuel filter cap and stripped the water seperator screw.
-Now I catch her on her own words... So I went ahead and ordered a billet cap and the fancy screw that everyone talks about that I guess I can remove with my hand now?? Both of them are from diesel manor. While I was on the ball and spending money I went ahead and got the coolant filter system from MKM Customs - pretty excited for all these to arrive and get installed! I'm also going to get my bed liner sprayed in finally (I have the money sitting aside for that just waiting on better weather and time off)
-Now for the questions... I'm going to order my EGR delete kit when I get a little more side cash, but what else do you recommend? I'm not trying to mess with the oil cooler for now unless you all think I should, but I'm hoping the filter will prevent that. I'm definatley wanting to do leveling kit with 33 or 35?? and throw some gauges on the pillar. Any other suggestions? Should I get all the fluids flushed and/or changed? Maybe delete the muffler? Head studs seem a little pricey for now so they are probably out of the question until they fail... Let me hear what you recommend
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2012, 04:42 AM
Unapologetically American

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
ScangaugeII or Insight to monitor the EOT and ECT first. The coolant filter might help clean the system, but it's not foolproof. I like the BPD EGR delete, mainly because it's like repacing the EGR cooler, except this one is plugged. I've heard stories of some EGR delete pipes leaking from not being supported in the right places. Never seen it, just heard of it. The cost isn't much different either
Old 01-10-2012, 04:50 AM
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006PSDSD View Post
ScangaugeII or Insight to monitor the EOT and ECT first. The coolant filter might help clean the system, but it's not foolproof. I like the BPD EGR delete, mainly because it's like repacing the EGR cooler, except this one is plugged. I've heard stories of some EGR delete pipes leaking from not being supported in the right places. Never seen it, just heard of it. The cost isn't much different either
Thanks for the input.. The one I was looking at was recommended by a few people and only ran $150 for it - sounded better price than 3-400... As far as the Scangauge or Insight goes - whats the advantage in running them versus the pillar gauges? I like the look of the pillar gauges better, but also want whats best for the truck...
Old 01-10-2012, 05:00 AM
information regurgitator

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
The advantage to the scangauge2 is the vast amount of information it can get from the truck. It can monitor alot of the existing sensors.
You would need those pillar gauges and some scanning software to get what that little thing can do. Scangauge costs about $165, that is only the cost of just one gauge.
You should have a fuel pressure gauge (need to add since there is no fuel pressure sensor on the truck), and if you want to fill out your pillar set, a pyrometer and a boost gauge.
Old 01-10-2012, 05:24 AM
Serving Our Country!

I like the looks of the Insight better, but the SGII has a better price, haha. What all can they monitor or is there a link that will show it? I can't find a list of them. I like the fact the Insight can monitor 8 at a time and the SGII only shows 4. Seems that if I were going to only watch 4 I'd just get the pillar gauges... Also, I have an SCT programmer on the truck set to the canned performance tune - not sure if that will make a difference on anything..
Old 01-10-2012, 05:41 AM
Serving Our Country!

Found a list of what they can monitor, but not have another question.. where do each of them mount? I have found some that mount on the RV Mirror, on the dash, etc, but haven't seen a pillar mount for either of them.. That's where I'd really like to mount them at - is it even possible? If so do they make one that I can put some gauges in as well as the monitor? Sorry for all the questions I'm new to this part of it - had my truck for 3 years almost, but never done anything like this so I'm pretty stoked and want to go into it and do it right.
Old 01-10-2012, 05:56 AM

I mounted my CTS here using the dash pod

What all to do?!-cts.jpg
Old 01-10-2012, 06:04 AM
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006PSDSD View Post
I mounted my CTS here using the dash pod
Just saw that on Stealth's site Thanks.. I guess I'm starting to lean towards getting the CTS, but I still really like the looks of the pillar gauges.. Just seems more economical to get a CTS and be able to monitor a lot more...
Old 01-10-2012, 06:32 AM

You can do the CS too, the only difference being it's not a touchscreen
Old 01-10-2012, 06:48 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Another CHEAP option for EGR delete is 35mm freeze plugs, remove cooler, pound them into both sides, throw on a weld for extra security if desired, re-install cooler. Just make sure you get a new lenght of heater hose and clamps, that OEM stub piece and clamps are a joke. I bought my delete on Ebay for $125 and made sure the coolant re-route tube and EGR cap were welded together. Oh yeah, expect 12~16 hrs to delete EGR cooler. Oh yeah, don't sweat the EGR valve, the EGR cooler is the problem, I left mine in and hooked up, no issues.

What Edge, Scan Guage and Bully Dog Watch Dog don't tell you up front is that they DO NOT include an EGT probe. Cha-ching! I just bought a 2 5/8" Auto Meter EGT for $145 from Summit Racing, WITH a probe. The 2 1/16" will fit in pillar pod. Anyway, Edge wants $100 for non expandable EGT probe, $130 for expandable (if you want a back up camera or the other things a CTS can do. Bully Dog wants $150 for an EGT probe that can monitor 2 EGT sources (but they only give you supplies for one). I figure with the EGT gauge on the dash, it will free up a spot on whatever OBD II monitor I choose.

I don't need all of the 1/4 mile timers, mileage coaches (I'm on 35s what mileage!?!), etc these things offer, therefore, I'm thinking at a buck fifty, a Scan Gauge II is going into my truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.