Tuning and new Suncoast Trans + FICM - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2012, 05:09 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Tuning and new Suncoast Trans + FICM

I'm a little over whelmed right now with the money I've had to spend on the truck and its getting worse. As some may have read my trans died and I bought a fully built suncoast. I just got the truck back and only have about 50miles or so on it. Its feels very strong and stout. The shifting is awesome! I haven't flashed the truck yet because I want to put some miles on it first. The Suncoast paperwork said when using computer controlled devices such as programmer chips etc. "Do not enhance the trans with any shifting enhancements, our trans will shift just fine with without them."

I guess I'm going to need new custom tuning, My x-race tune from IDP has a feature called "best shift ever" which is amazing but Suncoast's "Life Support" section says no.

My FICM is also on it way out and I'm going to order a new one tomm. I'm planning on a 58v from Vivian or if for some reason IDP can come down on the price I'll get it from them.

What is meant buy "custom flashed FICM"

I'm trying to get this whole thing handled at one time from one company. New tuning compatible with the new trans and an upgraded FICM.

Any advice or input is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2012, 06:25 PM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Well IDP could be a little more money but you will more than likely be happy with what you get. JMO.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:19 AM

wonder why no performance tune for the suncoast?
Old 01-22-2012, 12:07 PM

what?

You dont need to change your tunes just because the trans was replaced, if you are that worried call or e-mail eric about it. Suncoast is talking about tuning the truck such as edge or bullydog that dont tune the transmission. Suncoast is retarded with how they word things and the people that work their dont know a 5r110 from a 47re... talking on the phone with them.. let me put it this way i've gotten better answers talking to a tree.

The custom tuned ficm's are one of the best additions you can add to a 6.0. The custom ficm flash removes all the injector timing restrictions the factory flashes, especially the latest dealer flashes have. The custom flash gives you much better mpg and better throttle response and better overall driveability of the truck, and more importantly you get back hidden lost power you never knew you had. Eric is a little pricey on their remanned ficm's, but i believe vivian is backordered. I would suggest just rebuilding your unit with ed at ficmrepair.com and have it tuned. A lot cheaper route and he guarantees his work and is very timely.

Your current innovative tunes will work with the new transmission and the new ficm flash, they dont have any effect on each other and you will be fine. If you have any concerns call eric and talk to him. If there is anything you need help with dont hesitate to pm me ill do what I can do to help you.

Last edited by pizza pig; 01-22-2012 at 12:11 PM.
Old 01-22-2012, 01:41 PM

After spending a total of $7100 for a new trans and the install I was just following directions to protect my investment. I already talked to Ted (Eric is busy making go fast stuff) and he had Eric send me new tunes that would be more compatible with the new trans and Suncoast's recomendations. I was under the impression my tuning from IDP had included trans tuning!? Bully dog Edge etc doesn't tune the trans properly or at all. Other sct custom tuning companies tune it safley, but Suncoast doesn't want it.

So, running the new tuning with the trans tuning at a stock level, the Suncost shifts better (firmer, stronger, crisper, more confident) than my stock one did with trans tuning.

Suncoast was very helpful and informative with seting me up with a transmission.

Also, I got a non-tuned FICM from Vivian. I had an extra FICM from over the years so I sent it in and got it done a little faster. I haven't seen any proof that a FICM tune will get you any hp yet so I'll wait. Plus if its not true I'll be mad I spent $300 Companies claim it but I haven't seen it. Do you have any links to proof? I would make a weekend trip to IDP for a flash if its true. IDP is a little backed up but does in truck FICM flashes on the weekend.
Old 01-22-2012, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwsland View Post
After spending a total of $7100 for a new trans and the install I was just following directions to protect my investment. I already talked to Ted (Eric is busy making go fast stuff) and he had Eric send me new tunes that would be more compatible with the new trans and Suncoast's recomendations. I was under the impression my tuning from IDP had included trans tuning!? Bully dog Edge etc doesn't tune the trans properly or at all. Other sct custom tuning companies tune it safley, but Suncoast doesn't want it.

Yes all custom tuning on the sct platform has transmission files in the tune. I am well aware of these box tuners not tuning the transmission, thats the point, suncoast recommends if you're adding power levels that they must include custom transmission tuning as well (sct/custom tunes). People are running around with lots and lots of power with suncoast transmissions and custom tuning and they still honor their warranty, they should being they advertise their product to be bullet proof in performance applications.

So, running the new tuning with the trans tuning at a stock level, the Suncost shifts better (firmer, stronger, crisper, more confident) than my stock one did with trans tuning.

Im not understanding this at all so correct me if im mis understanding your statement, This is an apples to oranges comparison you cant compare a stock tune file with a built transmission vs a stock transmission with a custom tune file.

Suncoast was very helpful and informative with seting me up with a transmission.

This I dont doubt, however everytime i've tried to contact someone there they had no idea what I was talking about, all they know how to do is look in the catalog and sell you a part they offer. This was my experience at least, glad they've been more helpful to you than me.

Also, I got a non-tuned FICM from Vivian. I had an extra FICM from over the years so I sent it in and got it done a little faster. I haven't seen any proof that a FICM tune will get you any hp yet so I'll wait. Plus if its not true I'll be mad I spent $300 Companies claim it but I haven't seen it. Do you have any links to proof? I would make a weekend trip to IDP for a flash if its true. IDP is a little backed up but does in truck FICM flashes on the weekend.

A friend of mine showed a 40rwhp gain with a idp moderate flash coming from the latest ford ficm flash This was with erics extreme race tune. You can wait all you want on dyno gains, but a dyno sheet of someone elses truck doesn't mean anything to you. I cant force you to do it, but when you do eventually go ahead with it you will thank those who suggested how worthwhile the flash was with the first drive around the block. Erics ficm flash is $200 FYI

All of my responses in bold type
Old 01-22-2012, 03:26 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I went with the total suncoast rebuild package, along with input shaft and TC. Here is one of the instruction pages from the kit. The last paragraph has the tuning.

Old 01-22-2012, 03:44 PM

I'm saying my new suncoast 5r110 feels better than my stock trans while running x-race from IDP.

My paperwork from Suncoast is different.

Seeing consistent dyno proven gains would get my attention in buying buy a FICM tune opposed to hearing about somebody who I don't know getting 40rwhp or a salesman wanting $200-300 for a flash.

I like IDP but $990 (from their website) for a flashed FICM with no proof of gains, just from what a stranger says or salesperson claims is not for me.

I bought a 58v from Vivian for $400 and she offered to buy the other core from me. When its all said and done I'll be spending just over $300. If I see more consistent proof I'll drive to IDP and spend the $200.
Old 01-22-2012, 04:01 PM

Well I dont know what to tell you, the only way to get results is to just do it, if no one tried them how would anyne know if it worked or not... why did you buy your sct with innovative tunes... if you want to be ignorant to advice given to you from people who have been there done that more power to you its your loss...

Rich (lilpooh) posted the correct information from suncoast...
Old 01-22-2012, 04:25 PM

Waiting until more information comes out about FICM tuning isn't being ignorant. $1000 is alot to spend on a maybe. How do you know what research I did before I made my decision on who to get an sct from?

How is my information from Suncoast not correct? You tell me to call Eric about this matter but I did before you even posted on this and he sent me the correct tuning to go with my new transmission. New tunes may not have been sent out if it wasn't an issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.