Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

What is the mass air flow sensor for?

51K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  Twentytwentyatx 
#1 ·
Broke the tip off maf sensor:doh: i was under the impression maf sensor is only for egr function.

Am I going to screw up my turbo driving it around without it. Under light acceleration and letting off it makes a cough cough cough sound

2005 6.0
Sct tuned egr blocked off
5inch straight pipe
afe intake

#2 ·
Pcm uses maf input to calculate how much air is entering into the engine. Depending on the year your Iat may be integrated into maf sensor. You should replace it. Just to be sure, Maf is sensor in Intake tube between air filter and turbo - not sure how you could break that.

#4 ·
Depending on the year your Iat may be integrated into maf sensor.
Do you know what years this is true on? I've been trying to figure out if the IAT temps I'm reading on my scangauge are from the MAF or if the sensor is located elsewhere.

#3 ·
Switched intakes and broke the piece when taking it off

Anyways ordered a new one hopefully it will fix my problem

#6 ·
Cough...Cough....Cough.... Sounds like Turbo farts. I would like to see some input on that issue. Steve

#8 ·
There are two IAT sensors. The first is in the MAF measuring "ambient" temp. The second is on the intake manifold reading actual air temp going into the engine.

There is a third air temp sensor for the temp readout in the dash.

#9 ·
Well put the maf sensor on will update tomorrow on cold start and turbo noises

#11 ·
The MAF sensor has a temperature sensor that measures the temp of the air inside the intake after the filter and before the turbo. There is also another IAT sensor threaded into the intake manifold that measures the temp of the air entering the engine. The air temp that is displayed on the dash is a separate temp sensor that measures ambient air temp. Hope this helps.

Any updates??

#14 · (Edited)
Well it starts better, but when cold under light acceleration and letting off the turbo makes a cough cough cough sound, once it's warm the sound goes away.

#22 ·
Sounds like the turbo spooling backwards before the waste gate opens and vents the boost side of the turbo. You let off throttle quickly killing turbos ability to keep pressure. You wastegate is opening late In the cold if you hear that. Pressure on the boost side then vents by spinning the turbo backwards. Making that cough cough cough sound.

#16 ·
Turbo fart. Are you letting off the throttle quickly?

#21 ·
I have 2006 6.0 diesel, 292,000. I recently replaced all injectors, fuel filters, air filter, egr cooler, oil cooler. I still have a "sluggish" takeoff from a dead stop until turbo kicks in. Then lots of black smoke out the exhaust. Occasionally, on a cool morning I don't have the problem. I was told it might be MAF. I'm thinking low compression?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.