Anyway To Improve Lower End Torque? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2012, 06:25 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Anyway To Improve Lower End Torque?

I've had my truck for a little over a year now and done the studs and gaskets and all that and am running a SCT programmer with the SRL+ tune. This truck is quick but I have been very disappointed with the towing performance of it. I was thinking gearing may would make the biggest difference so I took off the 34" tires it had when buying and put on some 31.6" tires and it hasn't seemed to make any noticable difference. The power band just seems to be way up in the RPM range and not where I tend to run it unless I wanted to race or something.

I have heard that a FICM reprogram will help the lower end out, anyone had this done and is it worth it?

Also I have straight 4" no Cat so by not having that backpressure could this be hurting my lower end torque?

Any more ideas of improving the lower end torque?

I had test drove a 5.4L gas F250 that felt torquier than my 6.0L. It's like a 2-stroke dirt bike as it's a dog till it's wound up and hits the power band then it's gone. Just not what I want from a Heavy Duty truck for towing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2012, 11:55 PM

Don't know if it would help but do you know your fuel pressure because about 99% of the 6.0 running around have low pressure and don't know it the only way to check is with a fuel pressure gauge. Pressure under 45lbs at WOT kills injectors mine at 17k had pressures of 44lbs WOT and 50lbs Idle installed the new reg kit now 58lbs WOT and 62-64lbs at idle may not be your problem but good to know what it is if you pull a 5er or TT because you are in WOT alot
2 stroker
Old 01-04-2012, 06:20 AM

do you have a 4 inch downpipe?
Old 01-04-2012, 07:23 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I would consider re-gearing if you think you need more torque, especially if you tow. Step up to a set of 4.30's. Your hiway rev's will be higher but that's the trade off.

Sent from my Droid using AutoGuide.Com Free

Last edited by PGreenSVT; 01-04-2012 at 07:28 PM.
Old 01-05-2012, 04:15 AM

Try a different tow tune
Old 01-05-2012, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 stroker View Post
Don't know if it would help but do you know your fuel pressure because about 99% of the 6.0 running around have low pressure and don't know it the only way to check is with a fuel pressure gauge. Pressure under 45lbs at WOT kills injectors mine at 17k had pressures of 44lbs WOT and 50lbs Idle installed the new reg kit now 58lbs WOT and 62-64lbs at idle may not be your problem but good to know what it is if you pull a 5er or TT because you are in WOT alot
2 stroker
I don't have a gauge to read fuel pressure but I did put in the updated pressure regulator kit so I'm just assuming my pressure is OK. What type guage setup do you have and where is the best place to get one?
Old 01-05-2012, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by risco View Post
do you have a 4 inch downpipe?
I got the MBRP 4" system and it has the 3.5" down pipe.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGreenSVT View Post
I would consider re-gearing if you think you need more torque, especially if you tow. Step up to a set of 4.30's. Your hiway rev's will be higher but that's the trade off.

Sent from my Droid using AutoGuide.Com Free
I was thinking that too to start with so for the quickest easiest test I took off the 20's and put on 17's which down sized my tire size from 34" to 31.6" and I can't really tell much of a difference in take off performance although it did increase my RPM's on the interstate.

Maybe I'm just not used to a diesel, I have never really drove one prior to this and I know there is turbo lag and all but it just doesn't seem to make any power till you get up around 2300 RPM, at that point on up the truck is a beast but that's not where I need the power 98% of the time. Looking to improve the torque band between 1500-2300 RPM.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legionxxii View Post
Try a different tow tune
I've tried a few different tunes and none seem to make a difference on the low end, each one feels different on top end.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:01 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTRMC02 View Post
it just doesn't seem to make any power till you get up around 2300 RPM, at that point on up the truck is a beast but that's not where I need the power 98% of the time. Looking to improve the torque band between 1500-2300 RPM.
Something just doesn't sound right. Mine tows great (see sig for mods). I rarely exceed 2000 rpms with a 30' living quarters horse trailer loaded. Only problem I have is a slight drone at 1500 rpms - of course that is cruising speed/rpm!

Shawn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.