Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

how safe is the sct x3

5K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  crums440 
#1 ·
i have an 04 6.0 and i a pretty new to the diesel world my dad has owned diesel all my life but never got into tuning just drove them.
i had a mustang and traded it in on my truck when i found out my son was on his way. if i re-flashed the mustang back to stock it ran like sh** so i didn't and i am aware of the unlocking fee from sct i was wondering how safe the canned tunes are or strategy tunes are that come with the tuner for a stock 6.0 it has a k&n intake and 4" pipe no cat or muffler into 5" dual stacks. thats it. i want some more power and a little better milage mostly more power i do tow occasionally, no more than 5000 lb. race trailer. is it safe to run the performance tune or stick with the tow and street tunes. i know a custom tune would probably give me more power but not sure how much they cost and i don't need a race truck just want to play it safe and add some power. tech support at sct says all canned tunes are safe as they afe set up for a stock truck just looking for more info on experienced users.

#2 ·
also i would like to add i am stationed in NY with the army and will these tunes cause smoke? i am ok with a little bit on take off and such but i dont want to be blowing smoke everywhere. i am aware of the cracking down on the sport of diesel motorsports but a little here and there i think i can get away with. not looking for it though. but will the tunes make the truck run to lean to stop smoke? i dont want that either.

#5 ·
#8 ·
IIRC, it doesn't work on MAC.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.