Pulled the 1st heavy load - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2012, 11:15 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Pulled the 1st heavy load

Towed the first real load tonight since studs and tuning. I loaded the tow tune that I got with the x3 from innovative... I was pulling around 22k with the trailer, hay and tractor. My egt stayed great- never really hit a grand. I didn't like the way the truck constantly shifted up and down... Unloaded, the tow tune feels like the stock tune. I was afraid that the looney would be too hot with that much weight, but I really wouldn't brag on the tow tune. I'm going to contact innovative and see if they can tweak it some... Otherwise I'll be looking at a different tune... It really wasn't quite what I expected. But, I can't be too harsh, that's a lot of weight and I pulled it 60-65 with no problem. Getting to the 60 mark took some doing. It hung around 40-47 and I really had to push it to get over that. One I had the rpms up and got past 55, I could roll on. But ir would do that stock...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2012, 12:10 AM
Serving Our Country!

Send a message via Yahoo to navyeoseabee
i would be looking for a FL60 to pull that instead of a different tune. A frieghtliner 60 would give you a 3126 cat engine with air brakes for the needed stoping power. -lol

i know my 2007 6.0l F250 maxed GCVWR is 24,000lbs and a f350 is something near 28-29k... and your trying to go 60-65 with it ??? I am guessing that you are on the flat based on the EGT's under 1,000*f ...the best i have pulled is 21,640lbs but the settings are all stock and I thought it pulled some good size hills with very good effort at or above 55mph.

are you using the tow hual button?

Are you usally pullling loads with a tractor trailer?
Old 01-03-2012, 12:52 AM

Your pulling 22k or is that your CGVW with a F-250 for real i pull a 14,000lb 5er and there is no way i would pull something that weighs 8000lbs more and i have a F-350. The tunes you have are about as good as they come. Like stated you need something like a Volvo
2 stroker
Old 01-03-2012, 05:27 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
As for your shifting issue, after you loaded the tune, did you give the trans time to relearn or did you just load the tune and started towing.

You need to give the trans time to relearn.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:02 AM

Gave the trans 40 miles to re-learn the tune. As for the load- 36 ft Brutus trailer, 9 6x5 rolls of hay and a 65 horse 4wd Ford with front end loader. On this same trailer I used to put right at 40k and pull it with a STOCK '03 F-450. Same exact roads. If I need an 18 wheeler to haul my hay and tractor, then something is very wrong. Mostly flat, a few hills. Egt's were awesome. But the truck just shifted up and down, until the last ten miles when I got tired of trying to talk over the straight pipe and got on it until I hit 60. After that, it never downshifted. Pulled like a dream. Now the 450 had deeper gears and more springs, so I'm not trying to out do it. But I should be able to pull half the weight with a tuned truck. That's why I bought it. Not to ship freight over the road long distance, but to move my stuff 40 or so miles at a time. I don't pull all that often, but when I do, it's fairly heavy. I always use the tow/haul button, and between that and trailer brakes, stopping was easy. I'm just a little let down by the power of the tow tune. That's all. I'll see what's available and go from there. I bought this thing to work. I know what it's capable of and it's just not there right now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.