Airdog 2 noise level - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2011, 08:23 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Airdog 2 noise level

I installed my Airdog 2 last night. Everything went smooth, but my only concern is when the truck is idling the pump makes a constant "humming" noise that is pretty loud inside the truck. Think of early 90`s Chevy fuel pump sound. The pump is mounted to the driver framerail behind the transfer case cross member. The top of the mounting bracket is touching the floorpan of the truck, but the sound isn't a rattle or vibration. Anybody else's Air dog this loud?? Is there anything I can do to quiet it down inside the truck? Dynomat?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2011, 08:45 AM

Mine is that loud also.. Sometimes you can hear it over the exhaust and radio. But it's holding pressure so I'm ok with it.
Old 12-31-2011, 11:35 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I would reccomend getting the bracket away from the cab. Any way you slice it, it will transfer noise/vibration.

I am assuming you guys are using the stock fuel pickup? That is the #1 cause for these pumps to be noisy. You're making it work harder by drawing through that tiny little draw straw. A 5/8" pickup would help but you will have 1/4 tank issues. The best solution is to install a sump like Hellman or TSD offers.

With a sump your pump will be much quieter and live much longer.
Old 12-31-2011, 11:53 AM

Im guilty of stick pick up.... I don't go below half for safety reasons... But would that also cause pressure to bounce around?
Old 12-31-2011, 12:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Can you be more specific? When does it bounce and how much? If you're seeing a 1-2 psi fluctuation at idle, I wouldn't worry.

If you're having big swings it could be some sort of restriction (not likely) or it could be how you have the AD and RR regulator pressure set in relation to each other. The AD needs to be set a fair amount higher than the RR so the RR does the regulating.

edit: Wait. I just rechecked your sig. You have the blue spring and a RR? Which RR kit do you have? Does it not replace/modify the factory regulator?

Last edited by wetnsloppy4x; 12-31-2011 at 12:07 PM.
Old 12-31-2011, 12:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

It just occurred to me that you might have that Gillette spring. If so I'd ditch that thing like a bad habit.
Old 12-31-2011, 12:12 PM

No I spent the 70 bucks and got the one from ford. It flex like one to two psi. I'm for sure how it works with the stock regulator because it ties back to it to return to the tank.. But I have fuel psi off the factory plug. And it has a mind of its own I was driving Dow the interstate and it went from 60 psi to pegging my 100 psi gauge. So I think the spring has something to do with that ..
Old 12-31-2011, 12:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

You're running Elites Stage 1 system I assume?

60-100psi swing? Ouch.

I'm not familiar with Elites system but if it's anything like the Sinister (Strictly Diesel) kit I have, the spring and poppet need to be removed from underneath the factory regualtor housing before the billet block goes on.
Old 12-31-2011, 01:57 PM

Yeah I'll admit I didn't install it.. Idk it works for now saving money to get sump now lol didn't know it made that big of difference
Old 12-31-2011, 02:23 PM

Yea I'm using the factory draw straw. Don't want 1/4 tank issues, my gf and mom both drive my truck some and I don't want to have to remind them every time to keep the fuel level up. I will more than likely put a sump in eventually. Would dynomat under the carpet be enough to block the sound?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.