Few questions. opinions needed - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2011, 04:32 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Few questions. opinions needed

Hi everyone,

I am brand new to this forum as of 5 minutes ago. However I have found alot of valuable information here while browsing. So heres the scoop.

I bought a 2006 F250 Crew Cab FX4 Lariat with 50,000 miles have had this truck since 12/21/11 .

The truck is all stock with no aftermarket add-ons. I am only interested in squeezing out some extra power and MPG. From what I have read, the S&B intake would be the best choice of intake and the SCT for a tuner.

This a a truck that is used for vacations, dates, family vehicle, etc... I will haul a trailer full of motocross bikes but never heavy load unless its a trailer of wood, but still nothing big at all.

I would love to have a tow tune, a HP tune, and a MPG tune in conjuntion with the S&B.

If i was to get a few tunes along with the intake, will I be pushing the head issues, or would this require head studs? I will not be driving the truck hard or WOT for long at all, just occasional highway entrys, passing, or random "want to's".
For all of you who are in favor of installing a tuner on my truck, which tunes from innovative diesel should i go for without studding?

Or then again, should I leave this truck stock?

Also, a coolant filtration system is going to be first.

Thanks!
Tim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2011, 04:47 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16foxracing16 View Post
Hi everyone,

I am brand new to this forum as of 5 minutes ago. However I have found alot of valuable information here while browsing. So heres the scoop.

I bought a 2006 F250 Crew Cab FX4 Lariat with 50,000 miles have had this truck since 12/21/11 .

The truck is all stock with no aftermarket add-ons. I am only interested in squeezing out some extra power and MPG. From what I have read, the S&B intake would be the best choice of intake and the SCT for a tuner.

This a a truck that is used for vacations, dates, family vehicle, etc... I will haul a trailer full of motocross bikes but never heavy load unless its a trailer of wood, but still nothing big at all.

I would love to have a tow tune, a HP tune, and a MPG tune in conjuntion with the S&B.

If i was to get a few tunes along with the intake, will I be pushing the head issues, or would this require head studs? I will not be driving the truck hard or WOT for long at all, just occasional highway entrys, passing, or random "want to's".
For all of you who are in favor of installing a tuner on my truck, which tunes from innovative diesel should i go for without studding?

Or then again, should I leave this truck stock?

Also, a coolant filtration system is going to be first.

Thanks!
Tim

I have nearly the same truck as you. A few suggestions:

1) Read everything you possibly can on this site. Then re-read
2) Suggest leaving the intake stock. The OEM intake will flow far more air than even a mildly tuned motor needs, and the filtration is superb.
3) If you want to tune, suggest an SCT with Custom Tunes. Get a mild tow tune.
4) Add a coolant filter ASAP.
5) Install some form of gauges so you can monitor your trucks vitals. Suggest the EDGE CTS as the best bang for the buck considering the number of parameters you can monitor for the price.

Cheers-
Old 12-26-2011, 05:00 PM

thank you for the quick response. I was hoping to get an intake for better mpg and of course to hear the turbo a little more . Do you like the OEM air filtration system better than air raid or S&B or were you just saying I could save $269. lol

As far as a tow tune, will this tune my tranny to where its not shifting for everyday driving? Will this tune hurt my MPG, how much power is offered on this tune?
Old 12-26-2011, 05:20 PM
Premium Member

Based upon all the reading I've done, my opinion/suggestions would include:
1-Get gauges ASAP, to see the status of your engine.
2-Coolant filter, to start getting the crud out of there.
3-Fluid change, to start with a known baseline.
4-Depending on #2, possibly the coolant flush procedure, see NYC's sig for a LOT more good info.

Basically, you want to get your engine in a known good state before starting any upgrades to it, that's the biggest thing I've gotten out of reading info on this forum. I have many thing's I'd like to do to my truck, most of them because of things I've read here. Read as much as you can here, it's a goldmine of good info. I was so impressed with the info and the people, I became a Lifetime supporter. To me, it's that good.
Old 12-26-2011, 05:23 PM

Thank you as well alha. I absolutely agree. The coolant filtrations system is within the next few weeks. Im also going to make sure the coolant and oil temp doesnt differ more than the 15 degrees. (friends with master tech at ford).

So as far as the EDGE CTS, if I was going to get a tuner, does the SCT livewire monitor too?
Old 12-26-2011, 05:39 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Save the $269 and keep the factory intake. It will be a good chunk of change for better/more fun/"necessary" things like tuner, tunes, gauges/monitor device, coolant filter as you have said, and maybe an exhaust if you choose. You will get way better sound out of a straight pipe, but exhaust sound and configuration is a personal preference. I personally enjoy my straight pipe 4 inch turbo back with my 03 turbo. Scangauge II is a good, inexpensive monitor device except for it will not monitor EGTs. I have it and it works just fine along with my pillar gauges.
Like everyone said there are many things you need to check and/or change first, but these things can be fun too b/c you are working on your own truck. There also are a few Ford updates too, such as the turbo drain tube and STC fitting on the 05 up trucks that should be addressed. EGR delete would be a great idea if you want to tackle it and can get away with it inspection/emissions wise. Best idea is to make sure everything checks out fine and do the non-performance upgrades first, then get a SCT tuner and try out some tunes. They really do make the drivability substantially better and make the 6.0 even more fun to drive. But first thing first is to read everything you can on this site. It really helps
Old 12-26-2011, 05:42 PM
Premium Member

No worries, I'm still a rookie here compared to many folks, I am impressed with the people who are willing to dive right into their engines deleting EGR's, bulletproofing their oil/egr coolers, HPOP', studs. Someday I plan on doing many of these things, after my Ford extended warranty ends in 4 1/2 years. Some I plan on doing sooner, like an exhaust and possibly coolant, depending on what the dealer says about swapping out the gold stuff for the good stuff. Def plan on doing the mega flush next spring, already have 25 gals of distilled water sitting in 5 Homer buckets in the basement just waiting for the full day of fun and games. Best I can advise is read, read, read, and ask questions when you have them, because people here are great resources.
Old 12-26-2011, 05:51 PM

when you say STC fitting, what is this referring too
Old 12-26-2011, 05:57 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Snap to Connect fitting. It's on the high pressure oil pump inside the motor under the turbo. It's on 05 up motors and screws to the pump and snaps to a piece which is bolted to the rest of the high pressure system that feeds the oil rails which fire the injectors. It can leak, blow off, rub the rear cover, and give you tons of problems or just be fine, you will never know unless it fails. The updated one is a solid piece with no snap fitting (almost like the quick disconnect on an air line).
Old 12-26-2011, 06:02 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
From the type of driving you say you will be doing don't you DARE put anything other then a fuel economy tune which also turns off your EGR, because if you install any kind of tune that makes some good power there is absolutely no way you're going to be able to stop there!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.