Exhaust Valve Shutoff - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 12-21-2011, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exhaust Valve Shutoff

Does anyone know of an exhaust valve that could be used for a 4" pipe. I was thinking about running a dual exhaust setup coming out of a Y split after the downpipe. One side would have a muffler and maybe a resonator for when I want the truck to be quiet. Then the other side would be a straigh pipe for performance. Has anyone ever seen this?

2006 F250 King Ranch 6.0L - 2.5" Leveling Kit w/ 4" rear blocks, ARP Studs, EGR Delete, 4" TB MBPR Straight Exhaust, SCT Tuner w/ Quick Tricks, Innovative, and Gearhead tuning, Blue Spring Upgrade, Dieselsite Coolant Filter, ScanGuage II, Dyno-Tune EGT guage, High Idle, Custom Wood Steering Wheel, PAC Aux Input, Ipad Mount, 5% Tint all around w/ 50% Windsheild Tint
post #2 of 9 Old 12-21-2011, 06:12 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
That sounds like a neat idea. Look into some of the hot rod companies that build exhaust cut outs. Post up good pics if you get it worked out.

Tuned, Deleted, Filtered, Monitored...all the usual stuff.
post #3 of 9 Old 12-21-2011, 06:15 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mudrunninpig has something like that on his truck... Might want to shoot him a pm.. His is for his stacks to be turned off when he wants. It's a great idea..

post #4 of 9 Old 12-21-2011, 06:23 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I like the idea of this but would this kind of set up create any unwanted back pressure?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

2005 F250 Lariat CC/SB - SOLD
Leveling Kit sitting on BFG/AT 35s
SCT w/ Eric's Extreme Street
Blue Spring Upgrade
PMM Coolant Filter
MBRP 4" TB/CD
HIDs 6k 55w Headlights
HIDs 6k 35w Foglights
08 Taillights
Viper 5701 Remote Start
Infinity Kappa 6x8s
2 Pioneer 12" SM Subs
post #5 of 9 Old 12-21-2011, 08:10 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
jegs, summit... they have stuff like that. Just google exhaust cut offs, bypass valves...

Neat idea!

I suggest upgrading to a 4" or 3.5" down pipe that connects to the Y pipe with the valve. But it is totally fine to use the stock 3" down pipe.

To make it enough of a difference / worth the effort,
On one side,(I suggest the drivers side) have the Y valve feed a 5" pipe for the big fun sound. And the other side (passengers) to a 4" or 3.5". I suggest the 3.5" for better sound deadening.
Use the Stock exhaust system with cat and muffler delete pipes and install a flow through muffler. After the down pipe the stock exhaust size is 3.5".
If you like the idea if using the stock exhaust design, either keep the stock down pipe or upgrade to a 3.5" downpipe.

^^^ that is if you want to keep the tail pipe exhaust design. You could also use a stack for the loud sound.
post #6 of 9 Old 12-21-2011, 08:13 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU_Tiger_11 View Post
I like the idea of this but would this kind of set up create any unwanted back pressure?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Are you talking about the ypipe creating back pressure? not if it is the same size as the down pipe.
post #7 of 9 Old 12-22-2011, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Well I have a 4" TB back exhaust now which is cutoff on its way down from the axle near the spare tire so you cant see the tip. I was thinking of adding a muffler to this pipe and possibly a resonator if theres room. I got rid of my stock exhaust so thats out of the question. I didnt see the cat as being much of a sound reducer anyways. Then after the downpipe do a Y split with a 5" straight pipe which will run to the other side of the frame go over the axle and on its way down get cutoff. Is there enough room for this or will the fuel tank be in the way?

2006 F250 King Ranch 6.0L - 2.5" Leveling Kit w/ 4" rear blocks, ARP Studs, EGR Delete, 4" TB MBPR Straight Exhaust, SCT Tuner w/ Quick Tricks, Innovative, and Gearhead tuning, Blue Spring Upgrade, Dieselsite Coolant Filter, ScanGuage II, Dyno-Tune EGT guage, High Idle, Custom Wood Steering Wheel, PAC Aux Input, Ipad Mount, 5% Tint all around w/ 50% Windsheild Tint
post #8 of 9 Old 12-22-2011, 09:05 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Looks like I found one for a 4" pipe
Welcome to DMH Performance!

post #9 of 9 Old 12-22-2011, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

So I talked to a shop today about bending the extra pipe for my ehaust idea. They were saying that it would be super hard and expensive to run another 4" pipe along side the existing exhaust pipe. But we got talkinig and came up with the idea to put the Y pipe valve right after the down pipe. Then come straight off with the standard exhaust. On the other side of the valve we would come off with a short 4" pipe and then turn it down right before the axle. Does anyone know how a short exhaust would sound.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode