Burning smell after pmax install. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2011, 03:36 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Burning smell after pmax install.

Just installed my powermax and took it out for some driving and I can get an oil burning smell in the cab. Only drove it for about 15 min. Stop at the house to pop the hood and i can see a light smoke coming from the back side. Shut the truck off and it was still there. So my question is its this just normal burning off the oil that was in the turbo/ housing getting hot for the first time or to you think I have an oil leak? Didnt see anything leaking but doesnt mean there isnt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2011, 03:42 PM

I think your fine, my 38r and my uppipes did the same thing.
Old 12-20-2011, 04:07 PM

Sweet. Thanks. I know my exhaust did the same thing when I installed it but it was gone after a quick drive

Sent from my HTC Hero S using AutoGuide App
Old 12-20-2011, 04:24 PM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I would say that as long as it goes away with some driving and you dont see anything leaking that you would probably be ok.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:46 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Changing the turbo had to get some oil on the engine and it is probably just burning off. If it doesn't go away then you have a problem.
Old 12-21-2011, 05:28 AM
one day at a time

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGreenSVT View Post
Changing the turbo had to get some oil on the engine and it is probably just burning off. If it doesn't go away then you have a problem.
Ditto. Everytime I change a turbo there is always a little oil that leaks out of the housing in to the valley when I remove it. It burns off when you start the truck back up after you reinstall the turbo. It's normal but should go away within an hour or so.
Old 12-21-2011, 05:31 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
They coat the turbos and internal parts so they dont rust while sitting on the shelf. It will burn off and then its time to have fun.
Old 12-22-2011, 03:36 AM
Real Men of Genius

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Hey Fox Hunt, quick question for ya... did you notice any power increase with the Powermax? I see that you don't have sticks yet, so I know that you aren't unlocking the true potential of the turbo - but regardless, is your truck any quicker? Are you going to get new tunes now accomodating the bigger turbo?
Old 12-22-2011, 05:45 AM

No more burning smell after a few days so all is good. Thanks guys
Old 12-22-2011, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Diesel View Post
Hey Fox Hunt, quick question for ya... did you notice any power increase with the Powermax? I see that you don't have sticks yet, so I know that you aren't unlocking the true potential of the turbo - but regardless, is your truck any quicker? Are you going to get new tunes now accomodating the bigger turbo?
Ya I dont have sticks or studs so right now Im running Matts Powermax SRL. So far I love it. definitely more power. Havent done any 0-60 to compare yet but the butt dyno feels it. Can break the tires loose at around a 15mph roll- wouldnt do that before. I also added the batmowheel so I cant tell you what gains just it added but when I floor it there is just a half sec of lag and shes GONE. As as for egts cruising on flat ground its usually 740ish. Can see over 800 just going up over passes. I wish is was a bit lower but those arent terrible numbers. Going up one grade with the cruise control on at 70 I hit 1000* didnt like that when I take into count I can really hammer on it going up a similar hill and only hit 1100* I know it was flowing more air than the stocker. I would imagine if I ran the SRL+ that would cool it down some as the + version allow for more boost but I dont know if I wanna try is just on stock studs. I know some guys do it, but I dont know if they run it with a powermax. Maybe when I know I have the extra money to do studs I'll run it tosee how long she'll go. But up to this point I have no complaints with the pmax. May try a TSD tune and see what they have to offer. Havent tired Matts tow tune yet and the smoke on the SRL is even less than before. I may try and get a video up one day. Hope this helps

Last edited by Fox Hunt; 12-22-2011 at 05:58 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.