Locking TC in 2,3,4,5 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2011, 08:10 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Locking TC in 2,3,4,5

I have Vivians tow, aggressive tow, street and looney. Looney is awesome, but a but too much for everyday. I like the other files equally. My dad and buddy both drive LBZ Dmaxes. On the edge insight they both lock the TC in 2nd-6th. It makes them feel much peppier at all throttle positions less than full throttle. Innovative offers lock-up as a tuning option. Is this bad for our trucks? Has anyone had this on their truck?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2011, 06:47 AM

man i ran the TC locked on the sct canned tunes before getting erics... man sometimes that thing was ROUGH. would shift and jump and buck all over the place. I "hear" it can be hell on driveline parts and when you start making power you get into that grey area of he said its bad she said its good and you should have a built tranny.... so really just a friendly bump for more information.
Old 12-21-2011, 07:36 AM

I had vivian send me Looney with the lock up. Man it felt great. I had her write me a tune that had a less aggressive power delivery with lower shift points and more lock up in top gear. I really like it so far.
Old 12-21-2011, 07:37 AM

I should also mention though that before she made that last tune for me, my favorite BY FAR was her regular TOW.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:09 AM

You liked TOW better than looney? What did you like better about it? I'm curious... Thanks!
Old 12-21-2011, 08:15 AM

early lock up isnt hurting a thing...
Old 12-21-2011, 08:22 AM
Chapter Director

I ran the TC lock up with sct canned tunes and it does get pretty rough and want sure if I was gonna hurt anything so I took it out but I did liked it with tow tune except that I got a lot of bucking from horrible axle wrap from not having ladder bars.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:13 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by pizza pig View Post
early lock up isnt hurting a thing...

I'm only locked in OD (6th) and when I am putting along at 55 and hit a hill it lugs down to 1200-1300rpm before it downshifts then often will drop from 6th to 4th. Once it starts lugging down in 6th and drops below 1600 and the load comes up it starts smoking like a puller. Then when it downshifts it takes off in a cloud of smoke and everyone behind me is smoked out. It am going to have the TC unlocked so the motor doesn't get lugged down like that.

Right now I hit the tow button when I am going to encounter a situation like that which causes a much earlier downshift and makes the problem go away.

I am trying this to see if it helps fuel mileagewise. My previous SRL I had Matt change shift points and down shifted from 6th at 60mph. Never lugged the engine and kept the revs up but really took a hit in the fuel mileage though.

If you want to see what it drives like locked up in the lower gears just run the tranny in tow mode for a while. That'll give you a real good idea.
Old 12-21-2011, 12:46 PM

with my extreme street tune, the converter is locked out until 6th/55 mph so its fine daily driving, it will unlock at 50mph. Extreme Race locks at 40mph no matter what gear its in and it'll lay out the road

my super panty dropper locks in 6th at 45mph and it will lug down and smokes a little, but clears up after boost builds up. If Im going betwen 45-55 going up a hill I can hit tow/haul, it keeps the converter locked and downshifts to 4th and all smoke goes away and it scoots up the hill. I run this tune daily and its perfectly smoke free

Last edited by pizza pig; 12-21-2011 at 12:50 PM.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:42 AM

ya no vgt here so a locked TC at <60 in 6th is going to fuel like mad lol
i use the T/H button trick a lot. It is also nice bc it will not lock up on me sometimes till i am at 70ish so what i do is run the T/H button till i get to like 60-65 then turn it off and it locks right away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.