Truck died after SCT tune... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2011, 06:42 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Truck died after SCT tune...

Hey guys,

Just wondering if I did something wrong. Just got my SCT Livewire and I loaded the street tune for the pickup and after the install (which was easy I must say) the truck started up fine. I did notice a lil more greyish to white smoke than normal and after letting it idle for about 10 seconds I hit the accelerator and the truck climbed a few hundred RPM then shut itself off. WTF? After having a near heart attack thinking I did something wrong or my truck had something wrong I didn't know about I reloaded the factory tune and it has been running just fine. My truck does not smoke at all except for the first 2 or 3 seconds when I start it cold. My truck doesn't even have the long crank time that the others complain about. I got the SCT just to keep an eye on my temp deltas of my EOT and my ECT, runs at a 5 degree difference average so no worries there I will say the truck had sat overnight in mid 30 degree temps and was cold when I did the install but still it shouldn't have caused the truck to shutdown like that. Should I try it again or what???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2011, 06:55 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Try it again and if it does it again, there may be a problem with the file itself. when were the fuel filters changed? the hotter tunes call for more fuel and may have the fuel pump on the edge of its capacity due to a clogged filter.
Old 12-18-2011, 07:30 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Did you buy the Livewire new or used? Did you update the firmware and tune revision in the Livewire?
Old 12-18-2011, 10:58 AM

Good points to both of you. I will get new fuel filters for the truck on Wednesday. As far as the Livewire it was bought new from MPT off of their Amazon store site. I didn't download any of their custom tunes only used the preloaded SCT street tune that was already installed on the unit. I didn't think about updating it since it was bought new but I will definitely do it this week. I was not planning on running any custom/preloaded tunes until I got my truck bullet proofed and new ARP sticks in next spring... don't want to take any chances. I wish I knew someone that could run an oasis report for me since the motor is a rebuild and not the original. The truck does run damn good though.
Old 12-18-2011, 11:08 AM

have you had a rollback or anythig like that? my truck did this when i got my tuner cause i had a ecm rollback so sct had to send me another strategy and it works just fine.
Old 12-18-2011, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stroker007 View Post
have you had a rollback or anythig like that? my truck did this when i got my tuner cause i had a ecm rollback so sct had to send me another strategy and it works just fine.
This may be a really dumb question but what is a rollback? I do know there is a large sticker on the side of the motor that states "THIS 6.0L DIESEL REPLACEMENT ENGINE WAS ASSEMBLED TO PRODUCTION RATINGS AND EMISSION CONTROL CRITERIA FOR 2003 AND EARLIER ENGINES. IT IS SUITABLE FOR USE IN HEAVY DUTY VEHICLES WHOES ORIGINAL DIESEL ENGINE MET US EPA, CANADIAN, AND CALIFORNIA EMISSION REGULATIONS"

If only the 6.0 was as reliable as the ole 7.3 lmao.
Old 12-19-2011, 01:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

SCT has awesome customer service, i loaded out of date firmware and my truck wouldnt start called them and he took over my computer form his office and updated everything for free, but SCT will tell u straight up not to use "custom" tunes they only recommend their preloaded tune, i run my studded 6.0 on the performance tune with an 8 lift kit 38s and 24s and get 15.5 mpg, my sct dealer down here says KEM has a downloadable tune for SCT +180hp and 18.0mpg on his 6.o
Old 12-19-2011, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilfarmrboy View Post
This may be a really dumb question but what is a rollback? I do know there is a large sticker on the side of the motor that states "THIS 6.0L DIESEL REPLACEMENT ENGINE WAS ASSEMBLED TO PRODUCTION RATINGS AND EMISSION CONTROL CRITERIA FOR 2003 AND EARLIER ENGINES. IT IS SUITABLE FOR USE IN HEAVY DUTY VEHICLES WHOES ORIGINAL DIESEL ENGINE MET US EPA, CANADIAN, AND CALIFORNIA EMISSION REGULATIONS"

If only the 6.0 was as reliable as the ole 7.3 lmao.
it is as reliable as the 7.3 you just gotta keep more maintanance on them.
a rollback is where they change your strategy to an older one for better performance. the motor wont have nothing to do with it. its in the computer
Old 12-19-2011, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLPRedGoat View Post
SCT has awesome customer service, i loaded out of date firmware and my truck wouldnt start called them and he took over my computer form his office and updated everything for free, but SCT will tell u straight up not to use "custom" tunes they only recommend their preloaded tune, i run my studded 6.0 on the performance tune with an 8 lift kit 38s and 24s and get 15.5 mpg, my sct dealer down here says KEM has a downloadable tune for SCT +180hp and 18.0mpg on his 6.o
please explain how in the world you are getting the kind of mileage? is that hand calculated?
i have 20s and 35s and get 12 or 13 at best
that mileage is probably in a 2wd single cab f250. mike at kem has good tunes though
Old 12-22-2011, 01:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stroker007 View Post
please explain how in the world you are getting the kind of mileage? is that hand calculated?
i have 20s and 35s and get 12 or 13 at best
that mileage is probably in a 2wd single cab f250. mike at kem has good tunes though
well this is the biggest regular cab 2wd F250 ive ever seen

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.