Stupid Strategy ? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2011, 01:02 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Stupid Strategy ?

Quite some time ago I got a looney tune from Vivian. My stock strategy was vxcf9 and that is what I told her. She based my tune off of vxcf4 and with my looney tune loaded my strategy reads vxcf4. My question is in this scenario would I gain anything with an ecm rollback from php when the tuner seemed to have changed the strategy to a more preferable one with the tune itself? And if not, why do people spend the money on a more preffered base strategy when a tuner can do it for free? Sorry if this is confusing or a dumb question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2011, 01:18 PM

I am also confused by this and i think there was a thread on hear a couple weeks ago debating this??? Free bump
Old 12-13-2011, 01:26 PM

Yeah I think I read that thread along with every other strategy thread ever created. I just want to know if there is something I am missing or not understanding. Why pay $150 for an ecm/tcm rollback if the person that builds your tunes can do it for free. I understand with the stock tune installed you are back to the original strategy, but I never run without a tune.
Old 12-13-2011, 01:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I just found out the answer to that yesterday, my stock strategy is VXC7 and when my tunes are loaded the strategy is VXCF4. I e-mailed Vivian and found out her tunes are already rolled back to a preferred strategy and IMO would be a waste of time and money to rollback the ECM. I am considering PHP's hybrid FICM upgrade though.
Old 12-13-2011, 01:37 PM

Thanks for the info, that is what I figured was probably going on. However, it didn't and still doesn't make sense as to why people make a big hype of getting a rollback to a preffered strategy. If anyone else has input please explain!
Old 12-13-2011, 07:59 PM

My truck did the same from Vivian! She told me she found it was producing more power and better fuel mileage on that particular stratigy. She just needs to know what u have so she knows what she is starting with!

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 12-13-2011, 08:14 PM

the only benefit to rolling back the factory flash is so when you return to the stock tune you have a prefered strategy

In all honestly the ecm rollback is a waste if you never go back to the stock tune. A tuned ecm no matter the strategy doesnt have much affect, all the bad stuff (power/mileage loss)is in the FICM flash... thats the only thing I would worry about flashing back with a tuned version
Old 12-15-2011, 07:25 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizza pig View Post
the only benefit to rolling back the factory flash is so when you return to the stock tune you have a prefered strategy

In all honestly the ecm rollback is a waste if you never go back to the stock tune. A tuned ecm no matter the strategy doesnt have much affect, all the bad stuff (power/mileage loss)is in the FICM flash... thats the only thing I would worry about flashing back with a tuned version
Well I chatted with PHP this morning and they agree that rolling back the ECM would be no benefit since Vivian's tunes already roll back to a prefered strategy. He did say however that having the FICM reprogramed should help. So I ordered the The FICM reprogam and we'll will see what happens.
Old 02-01-2012, 05:39 PM
Premium Member

There is a reason for the rollback in my case....but it's also kind of a double option.

I have a stick shift and I'm happy with the canned tunes on my SCT, to which there are 4 of. An ECM rollback only is only $75 (Not $150, that's w/tune or FICM only) and I could still use my 4 tunes. To equal that on the tune side it's not just something a tune does for free, the tune itself costs money and I would need to spend well over $200 for 4 new custom tunes. I'd rather spend that on the FICM rollback. And if I ever had a mega heavy tow over long hill climbs and was worried about EGTs I could always pull my tune and have a good stock strategy.

Provided the plus with the good strategy tunes is the dealer can flash your truck all they want without jacking up your better performance/mileage and even if your tuner crashes you can still keep copies of those tunes on your comp right? I suppose the best SHTF plan would be go with both, but that depends on your wallet.
Old 02-01-2012, 05:53 PM

the pcm strategies dont vary much, its the calibration in the ficm that kills the mileage and power of the truck...

do yourself a favor and do not worry about the pcm tuning and flash the ficm back or tune it.

You dont have to change you tunes at all either either way you chose to go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.