While I have it ripped apart... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2011, 10:02 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question While I have it ripped apart...

So this is my first post on powerstroke but I have been doing a lot of reading and picked up a lot good info. So I have done a lot of work on small engines lawnmowers,weedeaters,jetskis, ect... ever since i was like 10 just picking things up from my dad and grandpa and our mechanics at the marina, but i have never really done anything bigger than a swap a short block 4 cylinder in my sisters jetski. On friday morning when I got to work to swap trucks with my dad I got in the 350 and as soon as it cranked over it just started pouring white smoke. My dad tried to tell me it was the cold. I was pretty sure it was the egr cooler so with his reluctant permission and some instructons from sinister I began to tear her down(no idea what torture that would be).So now two days of work later I have everything out and I rigged up a little test with the hose and a plug and sure enough she leaked like a sieve.I am ordering a sinister delete kit and a turbo clean kit with new o rings and all. So IS there anything else I should do while I have her ripped down besides the egr delete and turbo clean?and any tips or tricks I might need to get her back together?
Oh and sorry for the long post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2011, 10:06 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Sounds like you got a good idea already.
Just from reading about 6.0s, there are updated turbo oil supply and drain lines to get, an STC fitting for the HPOP was updated too.
Not sure what else, but the smart 6.0 ppl should be along later.
Old 12-11-2011, 10:09 AM

replace the oil cooler! 9 times outta 10 the oil cooler is clogged and thats what caused the egr cooler to go. its really simple to get to while you have the intake off. take your time and make sure you get all the gaskets lined up and be careful with the y pipe that connects to the turbo as they like to crack. little trick i use to line it up is get the turbo set properly in the pedistal. then take a small rachet strap and hook it to the fender and the back of the y. then slowly rachet it into place. works like a charm. need any more help just post up on here and im sure others will chime in
Old 12-11-2011, 10:11 AM

look into ur oil cooler and a possible upgrade. the EGR cooler failure can be caused by oil cooler problems
Old 12-11-2011, 10:24 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the replies. I really want to replace the oil cooler but money just inst right right now I am lucky dad is spotting the cash for the delete but that is probably because he is the one that finally pushed it over the edge because the night before he had hauled a 28 footer all the way back from wiliston and a week before that he hauled a 34 footer all the way from saint Augustine. I was reading somewhere about flushing the system with some special fluid and distilled water to clean the oil cooler and then using silicate free cat coooant to keep the oil cooler clean. has anyone else heard of doing this?
Old 12-11-2011, 10:46 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
If the oil cooler is blocked, chemically flushing with Restore is not gonna help. The only fix for this is to replace the oil cooler.

Without knowing what the ECT/EOT delta is, you don't know the condition of the oil cooler. The EGR cooler might of failed on its own, but most of the time he EGR cooler fails because the oil cooler is blocked up.
Old 12-11-2011, 11:08 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yea I am sure the oil cooler must be clogged by now the truck has over 125k miles on it and and when dad gave it to me the fluids and filters had been seriously neglected. If I watch my oil temp while towing should I be alright for a few months until can generate the capitol for the cooler or should i just leave her sit out back for a while and save myself the blood sweat and tears of doing it again in a couple months?
Old 12-11-2011, 12:17 PM

if it was me id let the truck sit. you risk blowing up the oil cooler and then you have oil in your coolant and believe me ive had it happen when i didnt know much about these trucks and it was super hard to get out! call sinister and maybe they will help you out on the oil cooler since you bought the delete from them.
Old 12-11-2011, 12:27 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
But if floridaboatboy knew his ECT/EOT delta, and it was fine, he can just do the EGR delete and be done with it. No need spending money on an oil cooler is it's working properly.
Old 12-11-2011, 02:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

so If I were to put everything back together and get a tuner that will display my coolant and oil temps as long as they don't get too far apart I should be good right? I know a tuner isn't cheap either but I will eventually need one anyway if she starts throwing a code.I might be able to ask for cash from grandma,grandpa, ect... for some money instead of the regular gift of ammo or giftcards.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
egr cooler, turbo clean

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.