CCV mod done but still getting oilly boots... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2011, 05:09 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
CCV mod done but still getting oilly boots...

Like the title mentioned. I did the CCV mod from steath-automotive about a year ago, i think around 6-7k miles ago.

And about 1k or so and couple months after i did it i did headgaskets and replaced all boots on the truck with new ones (got a deal off my buddy who had replaced all his and then upgraded his intercooler and went with larger tubes, and got a new metal tubes to replace my plastic sh*tty ones).

Since then i have noticed when ive take either intercooler tube off to do something else that there is still oil on all the boots and in the system. Ive checked all the hoses for the CCV mod and even tried empting it and nothing has come out since day one.

My question is, is there something im missing or something wrong with the truck that the ccv mod is doing its job?

Thank you in advanced
Jason
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2011, 06:16 AM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
It is probably residual oil left in the bottom of the intercooler. You would have to either clean your intercooler or replace it to get rid of it IIRC.
Old 12-10-2011, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrunner408 View Post
It is probably residual oil left in the bottom of the intercooler. You would have to either clean your intercooler or replace it to get rid of it IIRC.
Not trying to hijack, but what is the best way/chemical to use to clean a inter-cooler? Is there anyway to do it still in truck?
Old 12-10-2011, 07:30 AM
BACKYARDIGAN

The intercooler can not be cleaned while on the truck unless you want to wait FOREVER for the waterinside to dry or have it blown all over the motor.

While I am not a mechanic, the best way to clean an intercooler IMO would be remove it from the truck and you would have to submerge it in a cleaning solution that could get all of the oily residue off the insides and then it would have to be submerged in clean fresh water to rinse it all out. Then I would sit it on its side and with one end down and the other end up to allow all the water inside to drain out and stick it next to a heater to warm it and allow the water inside to evaporate out. JMO and hope it helps. Derail over. Anymore questions and lets start another thread to not take away from the OPs original question.
Old 12-10-2011, 11:35 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
You didnt really hijack the thread, because if that is the case, im all ears as to the ways to clean the intercooler. so if you have ideas please post up.

and i can see oil in the intercooler being an issue but on the turbo side of the intercooler, oil shouldnt be making it backwards. i can see it post intercooler being a concern. but im still seeing it before the intercooler.
Old 12-10-2011, 03:13 PM
BACKYARDIGAN

Maybe you have a seal that is worn in the turbo that is leaking oil. IDK. I just think that the path that the oil has to travel from the vent to the canister and back to the motor is just too long and has too many bends to be allowing it to get back into the intake and be sucked into the turbo. JMO.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.