Edge Evolution programmer. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2011, 05:41 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Edge Evolution programmer.

A guy at my work has the same truck as me and has an edge. He says it's the best thing ever but I keep hearing SCT is the way to go. Any one have 2 cents to throw in? Edge has the monitor capability which I'm interested in. Advise?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2011, 07:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I have one and love it. I run the canned tunes but found them to be quite good and have no plans on a custom tune. The monitoring is just fantastic, I keep tabs on the important stuff a lot with it. Looks and integrates into the the dash very nice too.
Old 11-25-2011, 09:49 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Edge has one of the best deals going to tell you the health of your motor but if you what to kill your trans in time it also is one of the best things going nothing beats the SCT Xcallibrator3 W/ Custom Tunes
2 stroker
Old 11-25-2011, 12:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I will let you know soon I have an edge evolution and am getting an sct with custom tunes on Monday. I keep hearing this and that about both programmers so I'm going to test it out. I keep hearing that edge kills trannys and whatnot but I've put about 10k on my tranny with my edge and it runs great but I only run my truck on the level 2 economy. What level do you guys usually have it on?

Old 11-25-2011, 03:27 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
There is no comparison in performance levels between an Edge tuner and an SCT with custom tunes. The Edge is a great MONITOR but stick to the SCT for your tunes. If you are just one of the bullheaded people that just has to go against everyone's advice and get and Edge tuner, send it to Bill at PHP and he can convert it into a Gryphon that will accept his custom tunes.

Anyone who tells you different just doesn't know any better.
Old 11-25-2011, 04:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Nope I'm not bullheaded one bit I was just buying stuff for my truck when I first got it and by the time I bought the edge it was about two weeks later I found the org and I have regretted buying it ever since now I live by the org for my truck and it has been pointing me in the right direction each and everytime. But I do have one question I keep asking and no one responds to? Once I get my sct if I put my edge back to the stock settings and just using it strictly for gauges the plug in my sct will there be any issues? It's only temporary until I can afford an insight.

Old 11-25-2011, 04:52 PM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
While mostly everyone would agree that that is considered stacking boxes, I think you would be fine and it should work for gauges and if you wanted to you could have PHP convert your evolution to a gryphon and use it for FICM tuning as well as EcM tuning. Just saying I think your evolution could still serve a purpose. Hope this helps.
Old 11-25-2011, 06:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Ok you just lost me a little I've heard of the gryphon but I didn't know about the ficm part what do you mean tuning the ficm? I am waiting for the day I have the money to send it into swamps.

Old 11-25-2011, 06:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Also can't you tune the ECM with the sct and wouldn't tuning the ECM with the edge when running a tune off the sct upset some computer in the truck somewhere?

Old 11-26-2011, 05:38 AM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwpayne View Post
Ok you just lost me a little I've heard of the gryphon but I didn't know about the ficm part what do you mean tuning the ficm? I am waiting for the day I have the money to send it into swamps.
Ok there are two tuning strategies that your truck runs off of. One is the ECM strategy (which is what is modified when you "tune" your vehicle) and the other is the FICM strategy (which is used to basically direct how your injectors fire while communicating with the ECM. If I understand it correctly, it really only controls the injectors and changes things based on operating conditions). Ok well anyways if you send your FICM to Swamps and have them build yours to 58v and "tune" it, they are going to tune it with PHP's hybrid flash (which is what you would get if you sent the FICM directly to PHP). I am not sure how everything works but I know if you have a gryphon it can be setup to tune your FICM so you wouldnt need swamps to do it. It really doesnt matter at the end of the day because you are still going to have to pay for the tune. It just comes down to who you want to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwpayne View Post
Also can't you tune the ECM with the sct and wouldn't tuning the ECM with the edge when running a tune off the sct upset some computer in the truck somewhere?
Yes it would, which is why you would return the truck to stock, tune it with the SCT, and then plug the Evolution back in and leave it on zero or stock or whatever level means stock and just use it as gauges. Hope this helps and if I am wrong about the info up top I am sorry and hopefully someone will set me strait.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.