I want a sct tuner I think... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2011, 12:33 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I want a sct tuner I think...

I have a bullydog programmer currently, have had it for 3 years I guess. It lost the tune this spring and had to call em up and they restored and updated it. When the updated it the tunes are different, they cleanded them up. So the truck doesn't smoke at all anymore and actually gets less fuel mileage. So I guess I'm wanting to buy a used tuner off somebody on here and get a tune from one of the various companies I've seen. I saw a few in the for sale section on here. I don't want ridiculous power, just a few tunes over stock and a tow tune. Does the sct tunes smoke some?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2011, 01:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I had the SCT on my 2003 6.0 and it ran awesome with it. I had the Edge at first and wasn't happy with it so I talked to Eric @ Innovative Diesel and bought the SCT from him and had him write custom tunes for me. It ran a lot better with the SCT IMO. I don't know about your Bullydog but the nice thing with the SCT is that it adjusts your tranny too and thats a big bonus.

Only smoked if you punched the throttle other than that it was clear. SCT is a very popular one for the 6.0s you will be happy with it

I'm selling the SCT I had cause I bought an 08 recently and can't use it, if you are interested send me a PM back and I'll give you the info on it.
Old 11-21-2011, 03:50 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
If you decide to go with a SCT, read post #12.
Innovative Diesel..better salesmen than custom tunes!!

If your gonna buy a used SCT.
What to look for when buying used SCT for 6.0

And beware that used custom tunes from another truck might not work on others.

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/sct...s-answers.html
Old 11-21-2011, 03:55 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Yep, get one that says unmarried. If you don't, I believe it's $150 to unlock. Personally, I like gearhead automotives tunes for over the phone custom tunes. Had great power, good mileage, and awsome customer service. I had innovatives tunes and liked them, but I liked gearheads tunes better.
Old 11-21-2011, 04:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Kdogg is correct make sure that if you do get a used device then make sure it is unlocked/unmarried and has unlocks still available. He is correct the cost to get it unlocked is $150 and you have to send it back to SCT for that process. My brothers friend found that out the hard way from Craigslist

Lilpooh gave some good links to look at aswell especially the first link about the Bullydog post, I wasn't aware of that issue. The other link he suggested is very good info too. I actually used this info about used SCTs when I was going to buy one but I couldn't find any used ones that would fit the descriptions thats why I spent more and purchased a new one.

I apologize, I didn't mean to give my about your question on the SCT smoking and then make an advertisement for myself selling my SCT just thought I would let you know it was out there. It just sits in my garage and might as well go to someone who can use it. So there is no confusion mine is unmarried and has 5 unlocks left. It is the XP model and carries the custom tunes only. You will need to contact Eric @ Innovative and pay $65 to get new tunes for your truck.

Last edited by smlarkin; 11-21-2011 at 04:52 PM. Reason: wrong statement
Old 11-21-2011, 05:02 PM

So how would i go about getting the truck reflashed if i decide to take the bullydog tunes off?
Old 11-21-2011, 05:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Not exactly sure hopefully someone will chime in with a better answer but I would suggest calling a ford dealership and asking them about it. I would think they can do it but no idea if or what it would cost. I'll ask my buddy about it and see if he knows too
Old 11-22-2011, 09:25 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Also, smoke is bad means you are over fueling. Just a little on take off and maybe a little haze when going to WOT. But smoking means unburnt fuel, this issue is causing all these new smog laws on diesels. Because people think rolling coal is cool. There is a time and place for it, the track at home but not on the street!
Old 11-22-2011, 09:37 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by xjtony View Post
So how would i go about getting the truck reflashed if i decide to take the bullydog tunes off?
You can have the dealer reflash your PCM, now depending on what strategy you have now, you may be updating to a less desirable flash. A dealer will charge around $150.

The other option is to contact Powerhungry Performance (PHP) to have your PCM rolled back to a more desirable flash.
Old 12-29-2011, 04:33 PM

So does the sct tuner put a little smoke out? After my bullydog lost its tune this spring it hasnt been the same. And i had to update it and call bullydog to restore it back to working, ever since the tunes arent the same at all. No smoke, no where near the power, fuel mileage decreased too. Just plain sucks from what it has been the past 3 years!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.