Fuel Mileage - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2011, 07:34 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fuel Mileage

I am new to the group. I am currently in the market for a 250/350 CC 4x4 with a Manual Trans. I have been told that the 6.0 provides much better fuel mileage than the 6.4 or 6.7. I was told specifically that the 2006 6.0 was the best fuel mileage of all the powerstroke engines. Is the 2007 6.0 the same as the previous 6.0 years or was it burdened with more emission control and lower fuel mileage?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2011, 07:50 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Someone gave you a bit of misinformation. The 6.7s get better fuel mileage than a 6.0 could ever dream of. However the price tag for a 6.7 is pretty high right now. My truck gets about 12.5 MPG in town and while towing a 21ft wakeboard boat on the interstate at 70mph. I'm not sure what it gets unloaded on the hwy yet.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:52 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
My average fuel consumption was 12.5 but I just put a bigger turbo and bigger injectors with a tuned FICM in so I don't know what that did to the mileage yet.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:00 AM

My average is 16mpg completly stock 06,auto,CC,SB,SNUG Top Topper delta box in the bed.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:04 AM

06s and 07s are basically the same,but the FICM/PCM strategies started out differently, but ford dealers usually updated them ,05s used a different intake because they did not have the same MAF sensor, 04s and 03s are very different, 6.4s with dpf deletes seem to do the best for mpg claims(I have not owned one, I love my 6.0s)
Old 11-15-2011, 08:17 AM
Turbos = Witchcraft

I average about 13.5-14 mixed driving, but I have bigger turbo and injectors and a heavy right foot

Just talked to guy I work with, He claims his bone stock 06 gets 20mpg mostly highway...
Old 11-15-2011, 09:10 AM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooMuch03 View Post
Just talked to guy I work with, He claims his bone stock 06 gets 20mpg mostly highway...
I have yet to meet a guy with a 4x4 6.0 that has his speedo properly calibrated with hand calculations that can get 20 mpg. Especially on a bone stock truck. Not saying it isnt possible but that I have yet to meet someone that actually does.

Usually the speedos on our trucks (stock) are off by 1 or 2 mph and therefore dont record actual travel distance accurately. Meaning they display more miles than actually traveled and that coupled with the computer saying the truck is getting 21 mpg on a hwy trip basically invalidates any electronic mileage computations.

I guess whatever helps them sleep at night.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrunner408 View Post
I have yet to meet a guy with a 4x4 6.0 that has his speedo properly calibrated with hand calculations that can get 20 mpg. Especially on a bone stock truck. Not saying it isnt possible but that I have yet to meet someone that actually does.

Usually the speedos on our trucks (stock) are off by 1 or 2 mph and therefore dont record actual travel distance accurately. Meaning they display more miles than actually traveled and that coupled with the computer saying the truck is getting 21 mpg on a hwy trip basically invalidates any electronic mileage computations.

I guess whatever helps them sleep at night.
ya with my injectors the overhead reads 21mpg and 500+ till empty on a full tank... needless to say i wasnt shocked when i got 300 lol. Also with my wheels and tires the speedo is off by around 8ish (been milking that excuse for being pulled over for a while but gotten two tickets lately that didnt fall for that excuse) however the point of that was to prove that following GPS its more like 1.1 miles for ever 1 mile on the trip odo. Broken down by hand roughly 13-16.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooMuch03 View Post
I average about 13.5-14 mixed driving, but I have bigger turbo and injectors and a heavy right foot
however i drive like this guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGreenSVT View Post
My average fuel consumption was 12.5 but I just put a bigger turbo and bigger injectors with a tuned FICM in so I don't know what that did to the mileage yet.
and probably like this guy as well... however i am interested in the miles with the FICM tuned as that is next on my list and possible strategy roll back to something more mileage friendly and no inductive heating
Old 11-15-2011, 10:35 AM

I've got an 06 f250 long bed supercab. Lifted 4" and running 35" tires I get 18-19 on the highway unloaded. Overall average highway and city varies depending on what % of each, but I have yet to see below 16mpg combined. This is with extreme street tune and a light (ish) foot on the pedal.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:46 AM
Turbos = Witchcraft

[QUOTE=windrunner408;2757204]I have yet to meet a guy with a 4x4 6.0 that has his speedo properly calibrated with hand calculations that can get 20 mpg. Especially on a bone stock truck. Not saying it isnt possible but that I have yet to meet someone that actually does.QUOTE]

Agreed! I was shocked when he said that I figured his claim is probably not accurate, but no point in arguing lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.