Propane Injection? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2011, 05:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Propane Injection?

Alright, I have read multiple threads on Propane Injection and if it is good or bad. It seems that their is many mixed thoughts on it. If I have it set up for fuel economy it's good right? How is it set up differently between performance versus fuel economy? More propane more performance? I like having a powerful truck and want to make it even more powerful in the future (turbo, injectors, studs, etc.). The main reason I want to add propane is for MPG's but will very much appreciate the power increase. My question is if it is "set up for MPG's" but I still put the skinny pedal down sometimes; will it hurt my truck? Also, since I plan on eventually doing a bigger turbo and what not will having propane be bad? My dad owns a propane company and I have really easy access to propane so I really want to do it. But only if it doesn't hurt my truck. Also I do not have head studs and already have it tuned. Am I at my power limit already until I do studs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2011, 05:42 PM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Wow where to start with this. How about just stay away from it and look at something else for more power and fuel economy like an exhaust, injectors, turbo, etc. It is way better to build these truck to run on diesel.

I tried the propane for your approach but never got it to work. Even if I did and lets say it did raise my fuel economy, the cost of the propane will offset any gains in mileage. NOS will increase your mileage and power output but is dang expensive to fill and is hard on the motor IMO.

Running propane will supposedly increase the efficiency of the combustion but so will just about anything thrown in with diesel but at what cost. Usually these things raise your EGTs and I never liked the idea of compressing a flamable gas before it is in the combustion chamber.

Bottom line if you want to add anything, I would suggest looking at water/meth but other than that dont waste your money and just stick to building your truck up and take what mileage you get. Hope this helps.
Old 11-11-2011, 08:12 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
if you could get the propane for free i think it would be worth it for mpgs but i wouldnt do it for hp as im sure it would raise cylinder pressures and could pop hgs on stock bolts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.