$5000..what to do!? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2011, 03:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
$5000..what to do!?

So I am the proud new owner of a 2006 f250 powerstroke and have about $5000 to throw at it right away. I have been doing A LOT of reading on this site and have a pretty good idea of what exactly I want to do, but just want to get a few opinions from others on the forum. The first thing i already ordered was the edge insight cts with dashpod and eas egt probe. The truck already has a sinister coolant filter installed and came with an sct x3 tuner with 3 tunes from innovative diesel. I think next I will go with the 4" xp series turboback exhaust from mbrp. Next will be the egr delete. Blue spring upgrade. truck has the 6.4 banjo's. oil cooler replaced depending on the delta when i get my edge cts installed. arp headstuds and head gasket. get the ford gold coolant out of the truck. All of these mods are things I want to do, not necessarily in the order listed, but want to know if I'm missing anything. Thanks for any/all responses
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2011, 04:05 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

here she is!
Attached Thumbnails
00..what to do!?-new-truck.jpg  
Old 11-11-2011, 04:07 AM
Unapologetically American

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
If you need an oil cooler, I highly suggest taking a look at the Bullet Proof solution. Remote oil cooler, and EGR cooler or delete . If you went that route, I'd save the money you'd spend on HG's. They don't just fail normally, coolant in the cylinders usually forced them to fail. Congrats on the new truck

You're doing custom tunes from IDP, right? Other than that, I think your list is looking pretty complete
Old 11-11-2011, 04:09 AM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Yea if you are going to delete the egr and install head studs then I would recommend looking at rebuilding the oil cooler. I realize it has a coolant filter on it and since you bought this truck used, you are probably not going to sell it anytime soon. So with that being said I would recommend you look into the bullet proof oil cooler delete kit. Yes it is expensive but you would never have to worry about an oil cooler clogging again. You could remove and throw away your coolant filter, and you dont have drop the coin on the expensive ELC coolant because none of that stuff will matter since you wont have to worry about your oil cooler clogging.

As far as the headstuds go, just make sure to use oem gaskets and replace every oring on parts you disassemble, and make sure the heads are gone through by machine shop. I know if you were doing all the work your self you would be able to get everything i mentioned done for $5000 but I dont know if you can with taking it to someone. Hope this helps. If you want to know more about the oil cooler delete just let me know.
Old 11-11-2011, 04:11 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i was actually just looking at that kit. Sounds like it may be the way I go for the egr delete and oil cooler replacement!
Old 11-11-2011, 04:12 AM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006PSDSD View Post
If you need an oil cooler, I highly suggest taking a look at the Bullet Proof solution. Remote oil cooler, and EGR cooler or delete . If you went that route, I'd save the money you'd spend on HG's. They don't just fail normally, coolant in the cylinders usually forced them to fail. Congrats on the new truck
Ah man you beat me to it. I still like doing the head studs if you can but yes the BPD kit would most definitely save you from having to do head studs due to an oil cooler rupture.
Old 11-11-2011, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuDaMaStA View Post
i was actually just looking at that kit. Sounds like it may be the way I go for the egr delete and oil cooler replacement!
There are a couple threads here now where people have tackled the install themselves. Oldbuck has a current one goign right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrunner408 View Post
Ah man you beat me to it. I still like doing the head studs if you can but yes the BPD kit would most definitely save you from having to do head studs due to an oil cooler rupture.

You mean EGR cooler rupture?
Old 11-11-2011, 04:26 AM

BPD install project
Old 11-11-2011, 04:28 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

If i do the BPD egr delete and oil cooler delete, would the studs be worth messing with? I plan on keeping the truck for a long time, so I don't mind spending now to save later, but I'm trying to decide if they are worth doing.
Old 11-11-2011, 04:39 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to dereku
I would do ELC coolant no matter what. If you have 5 grand to spend, and want to go with for gold you can go ELC coolant for maybe $20 more.

I just did my truck for less than $100 including the thermostat.

It is the stuff international recommends and you get a 300k service life out of it. So never touch it again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.