EGR Delete or Cooler? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2011, 08:49 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
EGR Delete or Cooler?

Been reading alot about these EGR deletes and coolers so I finally checked them out myself. I've been wanting to do this for a while now, but I'm stuck on which way to go, either the delete or cooler.

Bulletproof makes them both the same price, is one better than the other? of course I'd like the total delete but it says you HAVE to get a tuner of some kind and I dont wanna do that. So would the cooler be my best bet considering this or should I pony up and definatly do the total delete?

thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2011, 08:54 AM
information regurgitator

what year engine do you have?
What are the emissions inspection laws in your area now?
What changes will be made to those laws in the coming years?
Old 11-10-2011, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC F-350 View Post
what year engine do you have?
What are the emissions inspection laws in your area now?
What changes will be made to those laws in the coming years?
I'm sorry should have specified. its an 2006 6.0
And far as I know nothing serious about any emmsions laws. obvioulsy there are some but nothing to worry about present or future I dont think.
as you can see not the straightest you were hoping for I'm sure but best I can do
Old 11-10-2011, 09:23 AM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Provided you dont have any emissions inspections and most likely wont have any in the future, I would recommend a delete. This does two things. One the cooler wont fail because it isnt there anymore to fail. Two your engine isnt sucking soot anymore and should help it live a healthier life. JMO.
Old 11-10-2011, 09:26 AM
information regurgitator

Well, simply deleting the egr cooler (in my opinion) should never be performed by anyone that is not monitoring the vital signs of their engine. Doing so is inviting disaster. You need to know how the oil cooler is doing before touching the egr cooler.
Next, you really need to know what the emissions testing and/or visual inspections are and will be in the future for your state (and possibly local area). It would suck to delete the egr cooler, only to have to buy a replacement a year or two down the road when the laws change.
With all that said, most egr delete kits are pretty much the same thing. There are two styles. One style is the "dummy" egr cooler that is blocked at both ends such as what Bulletproof Diesel sells. This style will pass a visual inspection, but would likely fail an emissions test.
The other style replaces the egr cooler by rerouting the coolant flow and blocking off the exhaust connections. These kits range from about $150 all the way to $400. They are all pretty much the same, other than some fancy engraving on the aluminum parts.

Now, on your 06, if you were to install either of these EGR cooler deletes on your engine, you will get a CEL (check engine light) due to a "insufficient egr flow" code. There are a few ways to get rid of this code. One is the separate purchase of a tuner and having a custom tune written that excludes the egr valve operation. The other way would be to remove your ECM and send it out for a rollback and have a tune installed on it that excludes the egr valve functions. Either way, you will have to remove the egr valve function from the programming of the engine to get rid of the Check Engine Light.
Old 11-10-2011, 09:29 AM

just get the bulletproof cooler. one reason being if you ever sell the truck you can just sell it without a CEL on or have to sell it with a tuner. second is if you dont want a tuner then get a cooler. and if you dont want soot going in the intake anymore get a sct and just turn the egr off and no more soot will go in there. plus if you dont know what your emissions laws are this is your safest bet!
Old 11-11-2011, 11:27 AM

geeze this is a lot more complicated and a ton more information than I thought it would be.

so someone just sum this up for me and make it easy haha. I would really like to stay away from having to tune it so I should just go with the COOLER and basically everything will be fine correct?

again I understand the delete may be the better choice overall, but the cooler is just fine right?
Old 11-11-2011, 11:29 AM
Premium Member

Yep if u dont want to deal with the check engine light and a tuner at this time, I would go with an upgraded egr cooler. Then it will stay emission compliant and not throw a light.
Old 11-11-2011, 12:49 PM

^^^ what he said. even if you want to tune it later on you can this cooler will withstand it. also tuning will turn off the egr valve so you wont have soot in you intake or atleast anymore but thats totally up to you. deleteing isnt always the better choice personally id put the BPD cooler on because of resale, emmissions, and no tuner if you dont want it. reason i say resale is you dont have to sell the truck with a tuner to keep the CEL off if you go with the cooler
Old 11-11-2011, 09:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Il tell you right now with the full egr delete on my truck, it runs a hell of a lot better and im gettin better mpg's. I bought my kit from river city diesel, about 200 with the up pipe too, nice kit and it comes with good directions, took about 6hrs with it in the truck, and I do have tunes which I know you don't want but with a low hp tune you can gain about 2-4mpg and it will run like a raped ape. But then you also gatta do intake and exhaust with tunes, but I did all parts at once and the difference is insane with RCD custom tunes!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.