Custom fuel system- add your ideas/input - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2011, 05:41 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Custom fuel system- add your ideas/input

I am starting to put together my list for a custom fuel system.

This is what I want to have:

-Sump in tank
-High quality fuel/water separator(s)
-High quality fuel pump
-High quality regulator
-Stainless fuel lines (or Parker high abrasion resistant lines)
-Non corrosive fittings (I dont want aluminum into steel, vice versa)

Ive come up with a lot of the parts I will need.

A few things maybe some of you may already have in the memory bank:

-What size banjo fittings are used on the fuel inlets to the cylinder heads?
-What size banjo fittings on the back of the heads for the return?

I think I want to use socketless style fittings. All the hose manufacturers carry them, and are rated for up to 250psi, diesel, etc. Besides not finding the correct style hose ends, anyone see a reason not to use them? I am having trouble locating the appropriate banjo style fittings in socketless (probably not searching with the right words).

This is just me starting this whole process. Criticism is expected and needed.

I have built fuel systems for race cars, bikes, and outboards, so this isnt my first rodeo. But this is my first diesel (unless you count my Wiggins Marina Bull fork lift at work- lol).

But from my quick research it seems like the system will go like this:

Tank--Sump--Line--Filter--Feed Line--Pump--Feed Line--Y--Banjo-Heads--Banjo--Y--Return Line--Regulator--Line--Tank
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2011, 06:07 PM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Here is what I plan to do for my fuel system.

I like the sump and think it is the best idea for feeding the fuel pump and will allow you use the FULL tank of fuel if you want to.

For the money, I think your best option is an Airdog II 165 pump as it will come with a 3 micron filter and water separator. The filters are readily available and relatively inexpensive.

For fuel lines, I would just go with braided stainless steel to protect from just about anything with aluminum hose ends.

I dont know what size the lines are for the suction and discharge of the AD II but would run whatever size that line is to a y-block that splits to -6AN lines and goes to two 90* -6AN male to 12mmx1.50 fittings and then for the back of the heads use the same two 90* fittings and run stainless steel lines to an Aeromotive marine fuel regulator and then have the return T in with the air discharge of the ADII that goes back to the tank.

I would turn the ADII all the way up and use the aeromotive regulator to control the fuel pressure.

You could run an aeromotive pump with a dahl 150 or 200 filter/water sep but that gets really expensive for that setup.

JMO. Hope this helps.
Old 11-06-2011, 07:03 PM

I would just do fittings at the back of the head and not banjos/hardlines... Just my opinion.

This is what I would do

Frontside of the heads

Tank--Sump--Line--Filter--Line--Pump--Feed Line--Y-block--fittings to each head

Backside after the injectors

Fittings off each head-- Run each line to a seperate port on the regulator--Regulator-- return line off regulator and run straight to the tank

All new lines, no stock fuel system, bypasses the OEM regulator/fuel bowl so you can cut it off the filter housing. do not do a y block on the back of the heads it doesnt solve the dead head design.

I would use -8an size hose from the tank to the y block, and then use all -6an hose for the rest of the system. I would reccommend the dahl/balwin fuel/water separators but they're too damn expensive. I'll be using CAT 2 micron fuel filters and a CAT or Baldwin water separtators before an aeromotive a1000 pump.
Old 11-07-2011, 04:53 AM
BACKYARDIGAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizza pig View Post
I would reccommend the dahl/balwin fuel/water separators but they're too damn expensive. I'll be using CAT 2 micron fuel filters and a CAT or Baldwin water separtators before an aeromotive a1000 pump.
Why this setup vice an Airdog II with all new fuel lines and the OEM lines removed? This quite an expensive setup IMO and I am just curious if it is really that much better to justify it.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:04 AM

Why? One reason is because its cheaper than an airdog 2 or a fass... im not a fan of their failure rates... and last, theres no need for the pump to regulate fuel pressure...

If youre doing all new fuel lines. than lets look at it this way... '

Airdog 2 - $660

vs

Aeromotive a1000 - $325
(2) Baldwin Filter Bases - $60
CAT Filter - $15
Water separator - $20

total - $420ish

no brainer to me, and i know its a proven setup
Old 11-07-2011, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Well one thing I notice from all you guys that haven't done this is you left out the ball valve to shut off the fuel flow from the sumped tank when you change your filters. You could clamp the fuel line off with a vise grip but ball valves make it easy.

My fuel system is

Helmann sumped tank, 1/2" line to ball valve to DF165, another ball valve, 1/2" line to engine, -8 to dual -6 Y block, 3/8" line to 6.4 banjo's. Block off the engine side of the DF165 return. Let the DF165 set the fuel pressure.

Mine actually gets a little more complicated because I have the ports on the back of the heads feeding WVO from my Vegistoke.
Old 11-07-2011, 11:43 AM

yes mitch ball valves are a great idea, i have those down on my sheet for when i build mine.
Old 11-07-2011, 11:43 AM

I have a Helmann sump, 1/2 stainless steel braided line to an Airdog 165, then it's stock lines to the fuel bowl. From there I have SS braided lines to the front of both heads with fittings that bolt on, no more banjos, and in the back of the heads I have a SS braided crossover line. I don't run a filter at the fuel bowl because the Airdog filters down to 2 microns.
Old 11-07-2011, 12:06 PM
BACKYARDIGAN

Well I am not sure that your A1000 for $325 would be suitable for diesel fuel (considering it only claims to be able to handle gas and alcohol). I know if it were me I would go with the marine version and that is what I see other fuel kits built with and it costs $435.

I have only seen the dahl filter/water sep setups and they are expensive about $225-$250. I didnt know about the other setups for filtration.

While the AD has the regulator that isnt really needed, it does remove entrained air from the fuel which I find valuable.

I guess it really comes down to the filter setup that is the determining factor. I also know that the FASS and AD pumps have had failures but they both still have a lifetime warranty whereas Aeromotive pumps only come with a two year warranty. I guess you could claim that the lifetime warranty doesnt do any good if you are stuck on the side of the road. However, if that is the case, then you will two pumps eitherway you go. JMO.
Old 11-07-2011, 01:01 PM

i know of a one running the non marine grade pumps with no problems. the rest i know run the marine grade... even at that it still turns out cheaper by a shot than the airdog.

i'd be running the marine grade myself
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.