Well it's about that time to start ordering parts - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2011, 08:38 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Well it's about that time to start ordering parts

I have been planning on doing head studs for a while now but haven't pulled the trigger because If im going to go as far as Pulling the heads off I feel that I should just take it a little further. I'm short on knowledge on the 6.0 so PLEASE point something out if I am Heading the wrong direction. I don't have HP/torque goals just time. Here's the build that I have put together, I need you guys input on this.

1. Arp head studs
2. OEM Head Gaskets
3. Heads pressure checked and milled. 150k < should I do a valve job?
4. Air Dog II
5. Warren 190cc Injectors w/ new crush washers and o-rings
6. All necessary Gaskets
7. Coolant filter
8. Regulated return and fuel line from the air dog
9. 03 Turbo
10. 175 shot of nos. or what would you guys recommend?? idk never messed with it.
11. >Port and polish? Cam? < worth it? ik springs but does cam require new push rods?
12. 4" Turbo back < is 5" necessary?
13. water pump impeller < is it necessary?

14. What do I do about the tranny, I don't know jack about trannys but I have a buddy who can build it for me but idk what parts or kit I will need.

Also If I'm going as far as pulling the tranny and half the engine, with 150k should I go ahead and hone the cylinders, new rings, and bearings in the short block?

Last edited by _Hammer; 11-05-2011 at 10:32 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2011, 11:19 AM
information regurgitator

A quick search of this forum would reveal at least 4 repeat head gasket failures in the past few weeks from people that have used Black Onyx head gaskets.
Why do you want those?
The stock head gaskets were NEVER and are NEVER the issue. The issue lies with the stock head bolts and you are addressing that with the ARP's. Get OEM head gaskets.

Let the machine shop decide what needs to be done to the heads after they check them out.

The rest.. I will let someone that knows more about higher horsepower/torque than I.
I will say that at 150,000 miles on the engine, if you (and any previous owner) kept up with the maintenance...that engine is barely broken in. You should still see the cross hatch pattern on the cylinder walls.
Old 11-05-2011, 12:21 PM
Turbos = Witchcraft

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I'm no expert, but I would skip the 6.4 banjos and just do a Regulated Return to be 100% sure you don't starve your injectors. Also, maybe someone with more experience can chime in, is the Blue Spring upgrade necessary if you have the Airdog?

Sounds like that'll be one heck of a build!
Old 11-05-2011, 07:56 PM

I didn't know that about the black onyx gaskets, Ig I will be goin with the oem head gaskets.

Quote:
I'm no expert, but I would skip the 6.4 banjos and just do a Regulated Return to be 100% sure you don't starve your injectors. Also, maybe someone with more experience can chime in, is the Blue Spring upgrade necessary if you have the Airdog?
Well I do think that the regulated return would be the way to go, and if I did that I wouldn't need the 6.4 banjos or the blue spring. I would like to to do this but I can't see myself shelling out $650 or a kit that doesn't have much there, I have holley regulator in my toolbox if I could diy
Old 11-05-2011, 08:20 PM

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Hammer View Post
I didn't know that about the black onyx gaskets, Ig I will be goin with the oem head gaskets.

Well I do think that the regulated return would be the way to go, and if I did that I wouldn't need the 6.4 banjos or the blue spring. I would like to to do this but I can't see myself shelling out $650 or a kit that doesn't have much there, I have holley regulator in my toolbox if I could diy
IMHO-the regulated return on the 6.0 is overkill for the power level you're shooting for. The blue spring does a good job keeping the pressures optimal with stock sticks.
Old 11-05-2011, 08:43 PM

i completely disagree, a regulated return is a HUGE plus even on a stock truck. Probably one of the best mods you can do in my opinion.
Old 11-05-2011, 09:19 PM

This is probably a stupid question but I honestly don't know, what is the 6.4 banjo and how does it apply to the 6.0? I plan on doing the ARP headstuds next spring. My truck so far has not had any issues and I don't pull heavy loads during the winter so fingers crossed all will be well this winter. I also want to upgrade to the BPD oil kit and upgrade to the ELC coolant at the same time the ARP's are done.
Old 11-05-2011, 09:21 PM

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
A banjo bolt is a bolt with a hole in the center/sides that allows fluid to pass through it. The 6.0 and 6.4 both use banjo bolts to connect the fuel lines to the heads. The 6.4 uses banjo bolts with larger holes, allowing a larger volume of fuel to enter the heads with less restriction. As such, the 6.4 banjo bolts are commonly used on 6.0 engines as an upgrade to the stock components. While they don't increase power, they reduce the risk of running the injectors dry during periods of higher fuel demand.
Old 11-05-2011, 09:27 PM

Thank you for the quick reply. I gotcha now on what it is. I have been reading this site for a few weeks now and I kept seeing people talk about it but didn't know. If I am going to stay stock (might get a bully dog at some point in the future after the upgrades) should I upgrade or stay stock?
Old 11-05-2011, 09:29 PM
information regurgitator

You should reconsider getting a bully dog.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.