Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Verdict is in....cracked up pipe....

3K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  californiadreamin 
#1 ·
well the dealership called me today and said that my truck has a cracked up pipe....whats the chances that me welding the EGR up pipe shut would crack the up pipe? This happened within a few days of welding the up pipe shut and installing my new exhaust. Im really hoping that the dealership wont give me a hard time about the cracked up pipe and say that wont warranty it:confused:

#2 ·
well my luck hasnt changed wouldnt you know it the up pipe that cracked was the one that I I welded the EGR port shut on.....dealer will not warranty the pipe for me $230 out of my pocket now. I will have pics up soon of where the OE modified up pipe failed at

#3 ·
Sorry to hear Barry. I've had mine welded shut since the beginning of June with no issues so far. I didn't do mine myself, the tech who studded my heads did it for me, so I'm not sure why yours would have failed. If they want $230, you might look in to a rush order for a sneaky pipe from Elite or elsewhere, I believe they are much cheaper than that IIRC... Good luck.

#5 · (Edited)
I would have done this, but I have to have the truck back up and running asap for the weekend, so the dealership is going to put a new up pipe on. $90 for the uppipe. I think the root of this issue came when I blew the intercooler pipe. Ever since then I had a hissing noise coming from the back of the engine...it must have been the up pipe that was cracked

LvTitan said:
if you are not an experienced weldor, then yes you could easily damage the metal and it will crack. why do you think you are not supposed to drill or weld to the frame of a big rig ? because they are heat treated steel and will crack right where you weld them.
you need to slowly heat the entire area with a torch , bring it all up to temp, then weld with the correct heat setting
I agree that you need to be an experienced welder with the proper line speed, voltage, and correct weld wire. Thats why fortunatly when I did the install I did it at my work....which is where we design exhaust systems at. No exhaust system is heat treated, because after the tubing comes from the tube mill it is designed to be welded in exhaust assemblies. Im going to get the up pipe back today so Im going to take a look at the failed part and determine the failure. I asked the technician where it was cracked at and he said by the flex bellows....so hopefully the flex is still useable and I will weld the crack shut and put back on the truck for later on down the road.

on another note the Service manager agrees that welding the EGR cooler port off is a great idea, and he said he has no problem with that being closed shut, but do the part that failed was modified he cant warranty it.

#4 ·
if you are not an experienced weldor, then yes you could easily damage the metal and it will crack. why do you think you are not supposed to drill or weld to the frame of a big rig ? because they are heat treated steel and will crack right where you weld them.
you need to slowly heat the entire area with a torch , bring it all up to temp, then weld with the correct heat setting

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.