Verdict is in....cracked up pipe.... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2007, 10:13 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Verdict is in....cracked up pipe....

well the dealership called me today and said that my truck has a cracked up pipe....whats the chances that me welding the EGR up pipe shut would crack the up pipe? This happened within a few days of welding the up pipe shut and installing my new exhaust. Im really hoping that the dealership wont give me a hard time about the cracked up pipe and say that wont warranty it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2007, 08:37 AM

well my luck hasnt changed wouldnt you know it the up pipe that cracked was the one that I I welded the EGR port shut on.....dealer will not warranty the pipe for me $230 out of my pocket now. I will have pics up soon of where the OE modified up pipe failed at
Old 08-31-2007, 08:44 AM
one day at a time

Sorry to hear Barry. I've had mine welded shut since the beginning of June with no issues so far. I didn't do mine myself, the tech who studded my heads did it for me, so I'm not sure why yours would have failed. If they want $230, you might look in to a rush order for a sneaky pipe from Elite or elsewhere, I believe they are much cheaper than that IIRC... Good luck.
Old 08-31-2007, 09:26 AM
Banned

if you are not an experienced weldor, then yes you could easily damage the metal and it will crack. why do you think you are not supposed to drill or weld to the frame of a big rig ? because they are heat treated steel and will crack right where you weld them.
you need to slowly heat the entire area with a torch , bring it all up to temp, then weld with the correct heat setting
Old 08-31-2007, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shu873 View Post
Sorry to hear Barry. I've had mine welded shut since the beginning of June with no issues so far. I didn't do mine myself, the tech who studded my heads did it for me, so I'm not sure why yours would have failed. If they want $230, you might look in to a rush order for a sneaky pipe from Elite or elsewhere, I believe they are much cheaper than that IIRC... Good luck.
I would have done this, but I have to have the truck back up and running asap for the weekend, so the dealership is going to put a new up pipe on. $90 for the uppipe. I think the root of this issue came when I blew the intercooler pipe. Ever since then I had a hissing noise coming from the back of the engine...it must have been the up pipe that was cracked

Quote:
Originally Posted by LvTitan
if you are not an experienced weldor, then yes you could easily damage the metal and it will crack. why do you think you are not supposed to drill or weld to the frame of a big rig ? because they are heat treated steel and will crack right where you weld them.
you need to slowly heat the entire area with a torch , bring it all up to temp, then weld with the correct heat setting
I agree that you need to be an experienced welder with the proper line speed, voltage, and correct weld wire. Thats why fortunatly when I did the install I did it at my work....which is where we design exhaust systems at. No exhaust system is heat treated, because after the tubing comes from the tube mill it is designed to be welded in exhaust assemblies. Im going to get the up pipe back today so Im going to take a look at the failed part and determine the failure. I asked the technician where it was cracked at and he said by the flex bellows....so hopefully the flex is still useable and I will weld the crack shut and put back on the truck for later on down the road.

on another note the Service manager agrees that welding the EGR cooler port off is a great idea, and he said he has no problem with that being closed shut, but do the part that failed was modified he cant warranty it.

Last edited by barry1me; 08-31-2007 at 10:03 AM.
Old 08-31-2007, 11:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by barry1me View Post
II agree that you need to be an experienced welder with the proper line speed, voltage, and correct weld wire. Thats why fortunatly when I did the install I did it at my work....which is where we design exhaust systems at. No exhaust system is heat treated, because after the tubing comes from the tube mill it is designed to be welded in exhaust assemblies. .

sorry i did not mean to imply that the uppipe was heat treated, i was talking about the semi frames, i just threw that in there as a point of reference per se...

i realize you know what you're doing, and now that you mention bellows/flex pipe, i seem to recall that ford had a lot of issues with the flex pipes cracking anyway..

at least you're back on the road my friend.
Old 08-31-2007, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LvTitan View Post
sorry i did not mean to imply that the uppipe was heat treated, i was talking about the semi frames, i just threw that in there as a point of reference per se...

i realize you know what you're doing, and now that you mention bellows/flex pipe, i seem to recall that ford had a lot of issues with the flex pipes cracking anyway..

at least you're back on the road my friend.
Thanks man yeah im glad its back, I hope to whip some tail this weekend at silver lake....videos to come
Old 02-19-2012, 10:54 PM

welding steel makes it brittle, and the heat makes it expand.. that can cause it to crack on thin steel or if it is heated up too much
Old 02-20-2012, 07:31 AM

Mines welded...no probs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.